How long has your Dell laptop lasted without repair?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Chump_Diggity, Jul 24, 2011.

?

How long has your dell laptop lasted for you?

1. Less than 1 year

66 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. 2 years

43 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. 3 years

44 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4 years+

154 vote(s)
    50.2%
  1. Chump_Diggity

Chump_Diggity Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm concerned about the reliability that Dell laptops offer. So my question is, How long do they last and are you satisfied with them?

2. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My Dell Inspiron 8200 still runs fairly well after almost 10 years. Battery lasts a bit over an hour, one key doesn't work, and some of the keys letter are faded, but other than that functioning well enough for my kitchen, especially if I need to look up anything on the fly. Have a corporate Dell Precision M4400 that is a little over 2 years old and it's working flawless and still fast enough for anything I throw at it, though I usually keep it in my office. But my main computer at home is my personal Acer in my sig though, been using it for 3 years now.

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and 1700 and they are tanks. I have abused the 1500 and it's still going strong. Good thing cause i'm not making the switch to a 15.6" screen. :p

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We have five E6400s in service right now; the oldest is about 3 years and the newest about 1.5 years. Prior to that we were running a number of 3 to 4 year old D600s. Never actually had any of these break down.

That being said, I've seen a lot of broken Dells, but the only I've ever had one break on was at work: we had one of the Nvidia-based D620s and I had the GPU kick the bucket on me while I was using it.

5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First repair didn't happen till 3 years in, and of course it was on the failed GPU's that Nvidia became famous for. However, 3 replacement GPU's later, it is finally working ok, and it has managed to last quite a few years so yes I'm satisfied.

Be sure to get a warranty period you expect it to last for and then you are covered. First repair for me was 3 years out, but it was covered. 1 year is not enough imo.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My Vostro 1500 hasn't really had a hiccup. The original Hitachi 160 GB 5400 rpm started to fail which was quickly replaced by an SSD. It was dropped in a backpack from the top of my car, only cracked some plastic. The Vostro 1500 keyboard also had half a can of Pepsi spilled on it, the original keyboard still works but I replaced it because it was missing like 4 keys.

My Latitude 13 hasn't had any issues.

My D600 has a loose charger port, but now it is on the D series dock permanently so nothing major.

My brother's Inspiron M5030 has been going good, even swapping out a 20 watt Sempron for a 35 watt Phenom dual core. Does run hot.

My dad's Studio 1558 still doing well, though it really isn't used that often.

The Inspiron 6000 had the RAM upgraded, might upgrade the IDE HDD to a modern 5400 rpm to bring it back to life.

I sold my D620/D630 due to paranoia of the Nvidia defects, but if they had the Intel chips I would have kept them.

My mom's E6400 from work has lasted 2+ years. Surprising as when she gets frustrated, she likes hitting the laptop's palmrest and throwing crap at it lol.

7. Nigel8600

Nigel8600 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought 2 Dell 8600's over 8 yrs ago, both are still running

My kids have 2 dimension 1100's both 6 yrs old, still running

8. Chump_Diggity

Chump_Diggity Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I guess I should post my results too since I started it and forgot to :p

I've had a vostro 1000 for 4 years now and the only problem that I had was the keyboard. I think it was about 2 years in, though.

9. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    My XPS 1647...nearly a year w/out any problems that required repair...

(I probably just jinxed myself)...:eek: :eek: :p

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ^^ lol ya. Given the XPS track record...1 year is good. :p

Thank goodness I bought the Vostro 1500 for college and not the XPS M1330 (I was considered it). But during the summer of 2007 everything was Vista or wanted extra money for XP, but then launched their Vostro line so I picked up my Vostro 1500.