How long Does it take HP to ship custom notebooks?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Starfleet Captain, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterashim

masterashim Newbie

Reputations:

Just got the update

ate/Time
    Activity Location
    9/16/2014 - Tuesday
    1:26 pm In transit SENNAN-SHI JP
    1:20 pm In transit SENNAN-SHI JP
    9:33 am International shipment release - Import SHENZHEN CN
    7:46 am In transit SHENZHEN CN
    6:30 am In transit SHENZHEN CN
    9/13/2014 - Saturday
    12:40 am International shipment release - Import OAKLAND, CA
    9/12/2014 - Friday
    9:25 am International shipment release - Import SHENZHEN CN
    9/11/2014 - Thursday
    9/10/2014 - Wednesday
    2:35 am Left FedEx origin facility CHONGQING CN
    2:31 am Picked up CHONGQING CN
    Package received after FedEx cutoff
    9/09/2014 - Tuesday
    10:54 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

HP & FEDEX are crap ! never buying again

2. Babystang

Babystang Newbie

Reputations:
    I completely agree with you. HP is crap, if it wasn't for my computer going into repair and coming back with drop marks on it, constantly going to blue screen and them replacing it, I'd go with a different brand. If they refunded me the current value to replace what I had, I'd go with another company such as Asus! I was checking google to find out where SENNAN-SHI JP is since my tracking says it will be delivered this Thursday, which is it 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, 3/10/15. I am wondering how in less than two days they are going to get it from that location to in CA?! This was supposed to be shipped out on the 4th and delivered to me on the 9th but there was a holiday in China I was told that delayed this. Yet, just like you here is my information from HP and FedEx, both useless. So it shows Wednesday already and it's still Tuesday here. I know there is a time difference but still how can it still be in SENNAN-SHI JP now on Wednesday and still make it here Thursday by 10:30 a.m.? Are both companies just that careless and insane? Scheduled delivery info to be:
    delivery :
    Thur 3/12/2015 by 10:30 am

Date/Time
    Activity Location

3/11/2015 - Wednesday
    2:42 am In transit SENNAN-SHI JP
    2:42 am In transit SENNAN-SHI JP

3/10/2015 - Tuesday
    9:27 pm International shipment release - Import SHENZHEN CN
    9:20 pm In transit SHENZHEN CN
    9:01 pm In transit SHENZHEN CN

3/06/2015 - Friday
    5:04 pm International shipment release - Import CHONGQING CN

3/05/2015 - Thursday
    3:30 pm Left FedEx origin facility CHONGQING CN
    10:26 am Picked up CHONGQING CN
    Future delivery requested

3/04/2015 - Wednesday
    8:56 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

3. nightwolf001

nightwolf001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, things have really changed since I ordered my last laptop from HP. Mine was a CTO laptop that I ordered in December 2005, it was a DV8000us, and was made in Shanghai, China. Even during the peak of Christmas shopping season, I ordered it on the 8th of December and got it within a week. It arrived even before the estimated ship day, so I was very impressed.

But now, reading all the posts here, it seems things have really slowed down. I just ordered my Pavilion 17z CTO laptop on April 10, with an estimated Ship date of April 21 and estimated arrival date of April 29.

But from reading the previous posts, I can only expect my laptop to arrive maybe a day early or on time...if I'm lucky and there are no delays. If it wasn't for the customizable options that I wanted, like a specific color (Vibrant Red) and the processor and memory combo, I would have just bought an Asus like the one I bought for my son or even a Dell.

Since I had such a good experience the last time, I thought those shipping dates and arrival dates were just maximum dates and they normally ship way ahead of schedule to make customers happy. It seems this is not the case now. I thought with HP opening up that new factory for laptops in Chongqing, China, it would alleviate the backload in Shanghai. Apparently it doesn't work that way. How sad.

So now it's a 19 to 20 day span from order to delivery. :(

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. nightwolf001

Reputations:
    Ok, now I find myself regretting ordering direct from HP. I found an almost exact same HP laptop on Amazon with almost the exact same specifications as my customized order with HP. The price was exactly the same also, with free shipping too, and I know for a fact that Amazon shipping is very fast. If I had ordered from Amazon, the laptop would already be on its ways and delivered tomorrow or the day after.

Lesson learned: If you are in a hurry and can find the same laptop with exactly the same or very similar specifications from a third party vendor like Amazon, New Egg, etc, then order from there if you are in a hurry or would like your laptop delivered within a very reasonable time. If you absolutely have to have a laptop with your exact specifications, then customize it with HP and then be resigned to wait almost three weeks.

The reason I customized my laptop with HP again was due to my pleasant experience last time, where I received my customized dv8000 before the projected shipping date. I also wasn't in a hurry last time since that laptop was going to be my deployment laptop and media center to take on deployments and trips, so the time to build was not a factor at all. But this time, I need this particular laptop for school, and the three week expected waiting period is impacting my school work, so time is a factor now. I was hoping that HP would do the same thing and build and ship out the laptop ahead of schedule like last time. Now, I see that things have changed and people are either receiving their laptops either a day ahead of schedule, or on time.

Silly me, I thought it was logical that adding a factory at Chongqing to supplement their factory in Shanghai would speed up the manufacturing process and improve customer service. The posts in this thread show otherwise, that it's really taking the full amount of time for people to get their laptops. Now I know to just buy the laptop from another vendor and NOT directly from HP.

I can only conclude that I was extremely lucky last time and that the factory just happened to have a laptop built to my exact specifications and therefore, was able to ship it out the next day.

With that said, it's time to play the waiting game and see that damned "processing" status when I check on the order.

5. nightwolf001

Reputations:
    It's now Friday, April 17, and I've been checking the website at least 3 times a day. I checked it early this morning and again at lunch, and it still said processing. Then I checked it again this afternoon and it said shipped! WTF? And the tracking info said it was done on Wednesday and picked up yesterday on Thursday. From what I've seen on this thread, it should spend the next 4 days in China before leaving for the US. On the map, it looks like its about 680 miles from Chongqing to Shenzhen, China, which is the departure point from China. So I guess 7 days transit time from China isn't too shabby for FedEx, considering this is free shipping.

Well, it looks like I'm pleasantly surprised, although it won't reach here before the original ship date. But that's okay. Because this was the original schedule:

Friday, April 10, 2015 - Ordered 8:10 am
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - Original Estimated Ship Date
    Wednesday, April 29,2015 - Original Estimated Delivery Date

This the new schedule.

Friday, April 10, 2015 - Ordered 8:10 am
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 - Ship Date
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 - Estimated Delivery Date

Therefore, from the day I ordered it to the day of delivery will be 13 days, IF FedEx is on time. Weather looks good from China to the US, so there should be no weather delays. Hopefully there won't be a problem with customs like others have had. This will mean that HP is actually 6 days ahead of schedule, so I will be satisfied with the production/delivery time of this order.

Of course, if I had just ordered a similarly equipped laptop at Amazon, I would have had it already earlier this week. Oh well, I'll be looking forward to Thursday, next week.

mohit chawla likes this.
  6. nightwolf001

Reputations:
    During this process, I found out through the tracking update, that our HP laptops are being made by Quanta, and not directly by HP.

[​IMG]
    HP is their customer, along with "Apple Inc., Compaq, Dell, Gateway,Hewlett-Packard,[3]Alienware, Amazon.com, Cisco, Fujitsu, Gericom, Lenovo, LG, Maxdata, MPC, BlackBerry Ltd,Sharp Corporation, Siemens AG, Sony, Sun Microsystems, Toshiba, Verizon Wireless, and Vizio."

Quanta Computer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanta_Computer

All along I thought it was Foxconn that was manufacturing the laptops, although Foxconn is the other big computer manufacturer. Therefore, many of the worlds computers, laptops, and iPads, and tablets are made by basically two companies: Quanta and Foxconn.

Anyway, so far I'm disappointed with how long the shipment is taking, considering I've seen posts here that tracking shows it takes anywhere from 2 to 6 days to reach Shenzheng from Chongqing...mine took 6 days, and is now probably flying to Sennan-Shi, Japan, then on to the Anchorage hub in Alaska. Some posts show that some laptops will spend a day in Sennan-Shi, while some others, only a few hours before being shipped to Anchorage. I'm hoping mine will only be there a few hours, but I'm not holding my breath, since so far, my laptop is taking longer than the other laptops that were posted here. Mine only reached Shenzheng this moring at 7:53 am, Tuesday, April 21, 2015.

I know you go back a day when you cross the international date line coming from Asia, so it may technically reach Anchorage on the same day as it left Japan. Anyway, expected delivery date is Thursday, April 23, 2015.

mohit chawla likes this.
  7. nightwolf001

Reputations:
    Finally! My laptop will be delivered today and on time. Fortunately for me, there were no Chinese or US holidays, parts shortages, typhoons, bad weather in the US that cancels flights, and customs delays, to delay my shipment, unlike some previous posters, so I'm lucky this time. This might be my final post in this particular thread, so I'll leave the information for future members so they might have an idea of what to expect when customizing a laptop or desktop computer from HP. It's a pity that some previous posters stopped updating their timeline. This is my tracking history - using the destination time, NOT local scan time. The reason to use destination time is because of all the time zones and international date line that your package will be going through. If you use the local scan time, it will be confusing, which confused a lot of previous posters.

Date/Time Location/Activity
    4/23/2015 7:53 am OMAHA, NE/On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    4/23/2015 7:03 am OMAHA, NE/At local FedEx facility
    4/23/2015 3:05 am MEMPHIS, TN/International shipment release - Import
    4/22/2015 10:58 pm OMAHA, NE/At local FedEx facility
    4/22/2015 5:10 pm OMAHA, NE/At destination sort facility
    4/22/2015 3:45 pm MEMPHIS, TN/Departed FedEx location
    4/22/2015 11:46 am MEMPHIS, TN/International shipment release - Import
    4/22/2015 9:21 am MEMPHIS, TN/Arrived at FedEx location
    4/22/2015 3:34 am ANCHORAGE, AK/Departed FedEx location
    4/21/2015 2:07 am ANCHORAGE, AK/Arrived at FedEx location
    4/22/2015 8:37 pm SENNAN-SHI, /In transit
    4/22/2015 7:46 pm SENNAN-SHI, /In transit
    4/22/2015 4:14 pm SENNAN-SHI, /In transit
    4/21/2015 6:51 am SHENZHEN, /In transit
    4/21/2015 5:30 am SHENZHEN, /In transit
    4/21/2015 3:30 am SHENZHEN, /International shipment release - Import
    4/17/2015 1:12 am CHONGQING, /International shipment release - Import
    4/16/2015 1:56 am CHONGQING, /Left FedEx origin facility
    4/16/2015 1:54 am CHONGQING, /Picked up
    4/15/2015 9:55 pm /Shipment information sent to FedEx

This was using regular 5-7 day free shipping. I've seen others pay for the expedited shipping which Fedex failed.

From my experience and reading about other people's experiences, this is what I now know:
    • All laptops are now manufactured by Quanta Computers in their factory in Chongqing, China, under contract by HP
    • HP and Quanta will try to build the laptop before the estimated ship date, but there can be delays due to parts shortages, holidays, etc, but it can be anywhere from a week to a day before the estimated shipping date
    • Once the laptop is picked up by Fedex, it is now out of HP & Quanta's hands, and is now at the mercy of the Fedex delivery process, which seems to be a bit slower in China. But I did read somewhere that millions of laptops are being shipped from Chongqing, therefore, Fedex has a very heavy shipping schedule.
    • Once the factory sends the shipping schedule to Fedex, it is ALWAYS after the cutoff time. The package will then be picked up and the tracking will show anywhere from a 2 to 5 day transit time between Chongqing and the Fedex hub at Shenzehen, China, a distance of 680 miles. I'm sure it doesn't take 5 days to travel that far, so my guess is that it sits at a Fedex warehouse waiting for its flight
    • After leaving Shenzhen, the package is flown either to the Fedex hub in Sennan-Shi, Osaka, Japan, or straight to the Fedex hub in Oakland if you are on the west coast. Most laptops go through the Sennan-Shi route, including mine. This is where I see in this thread that many people panic. How can my delivery be the next day if its still in Shenzhen or Sennan-Shi? The reason is the international date line. If you have ever flown back from Asia, you know that you gain a day flying back to the US when crossing the international date line. Therefore, your package is STILL ON TIME.
    • If your laptop is taking the Sennan-Shi route, it will arrive at the Fedex hub in Anchorage, Alaska.
    • From Anchorage, the package is then flown to the main Fedex hub in Memphis TN, where the majority of packages go. This is where it goes thru customs. Some people have reported a delay in customs when it reaches here. But the customs delays is never very long.
    • From Memphis, the package is then flown out to their destinations. Fedex sends out its fleet of planes from Memphis, twice a day to their destinations. Here is an interesting video from youtube that shows the Fedex fleet converging on Memphis twice a day, and leaving Memphis twice a day. For those that don't know, Memphis is the location of Fedex headquarters and their main superhub.

So, to answer the main question, how long does it take for HP to ship custom notebooks? The answer is that it depends on many factors:
    • Time of year - Obviously it will take longer during the holiday season because of all the massive orders coming in to the factories in Chongqing, China. If you can, try to order when there are no Chinese or US holidays
    • Parts shortages - there may be parts shortages for the popular notebooks. As Quanta makes notebooks for other companies like Apple, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, there may be a delay. The problem is that there is no way you are going to know if there is a delay before ordering the notebook. There's people here who's laptops have been delayed by several weeks
    • Once the laptop leaves the factory, it is in Fedex's hands. During the holiday season, obviously it will take longer to ship. Fedex flights can be cancelled or delayed to due bad weather from Typhoons in the Pacific, and severe thunderstorms in the US.
    Therefore, your laptop can be delivered up to two weeks ahead of schedule, a day ahead of schedule, on schedule, or behind schedule. So it really all depends on you. If you can wait for that laptop that you configured personally, then order from the website and customize your laptop. If you can't wait, then get a similarly configured laptop in a store, online, or through some other third party vendor. But once we place that order, it's quite natural to become impatient because we now have to play the waiting game. Even I became impatient and despaired after I read some of the previous posts. But I've done this before with my DV8000z, and it really is worth it in the end to configure it the exact way you want. My kudos to HP for building the laptop ahead of schedule and kudos to Fedex for being on time. The shipping was free, so I can't complain...unless my laptop got damaged during the shipping.

Now, the question is now going to be how well Quanta built my laptop. I'll see during the coming weeks and months. We'll see just how reliable this particular laptop is. But I know if I do go with a different brand in the future, it will still probably be made by either Quanta or Foxconn in their factories in Chongqing or Shanghai.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    mohit chawla likes this.
  8. Tastydrox

Tastydrox Newbie

Reputations:
    Longest wait in my life

HP ENVY - 15t Touch Laptop
    Show details
    • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • HP Laptop
    • Standard Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
    • Security Software Trial
    • 8GB DDR3L System Memory (1 Dimm)
    • Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [1x1]
    • Office Software Trial
    • HP ENVY - 15t Touch Laptop
    • Windows 8.1 64
    • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone
    • 4-cell 41WHr Lithium-ion Battery
    • 15.6-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit Display (1366x768) Touchscreen
    • SuperMulti DVD burner
    • 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Hide details
    Product number: L8C65AV_1
    HP Shopping will accept returns or exchanges for this product up to 30 days after delivery

Estimated delivery date
    May 27, 2015
    Processing
    -22days to customize

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    mohit chawla likes this.
  9. mohit chawla

mohit chawla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I Ordered Hp envy 15t touch laptop customized and waiting for it to shipped. But till now I have just got 1 email for order confirmation after that no update. Hope soon it gets shipped.

Customize : 1.5th gen i7
    2. 2tb hdd
    3. Backlit keyboard
    4. 16gb memory
    5. Bluray optical
    6. Intel WLAN bt
    7. 1080 Fhd

Order date : 1/5/2015
    Estimated ship date : 19/5/2015

10. mohit chawla

mohit chawla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi,
    When did you place an order and is it shipped ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.