How long Does it take HP to ship custom notebooks?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Starfleet Captain, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Starfleet Captain

Starfleet Captain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi you guys! I am new to this forum as this is my first post. I have been keeping tabs here for a few weeks now. There are some very knowledgeable people in these forums. Glad to finally be a member. I have a few questions that I can’t seem to find anywhere.

Ok, I ordered my DV9000z from HP on 01/30/2007 with an estimated ship date of 02/08/2007. As of 9:15 am CST 02/09/2007 my status still reads “Order in production
    (Estimated to ship on February 8, 2007)” How long did you guys have to wait? Does it normally take HP a few days past its estimate to get the notebooks out of the door? My peripherals (LightScribe DVD’s, Targus Case) arrived promptly.

Secondary questions:

-Why does HP NOT support the 512mb NVIDIA geforce go 7600 GPU in their AMD dv9000z but they are available as an option in their INTEL dv9000t?

-Why does HP NOT support the Pre-N wireless option on their INTEL dv9000t but is available as an option on their AMD dv9000z?

-Can someone list the difference in features for Quickplay versions 1.xx, 2.0, 2.1, 2.3, 3.0? I know this I irrelevant since 3.0 is standard, but it would be nice to know which features were added.

-How does HP’s expresscard TV Tuner work? The “help Me decide” note says that it is now a hybrid analogue and digital HD capable tuner, but how does it connect to the cable service? And what the heck is an IR receiver/Blaster??

Any help to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Well here’s the specs to the laptop that I ordered.

*Windows Vista Home Premium (Now, I want the 64-Bit Ultimate edition)
    * AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-60(2.0GHz/1MB cache)
    * 17.0 inch WSXGA BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
    * 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    * HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
    * 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    * 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    * LightScribe DVD+/-RW with Double Layer
    * 802.11 pre-n WLAN and Bluetooth
    * HP Expresscard TV Tuner for Windows Vista Notebook
    * High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    * Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    * System Recovery DVD w/Windows Vista Home Premium

FINAL PRICE: $1845.99 + tax + shipping.

BTW, what can I expect from my Vista Machine (when it finally arrives?)

2. aphexacid

aphexacid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) The first notebook i ordered was (dv6000z) i ordered on Dec. 15 sceduled for Jan 8th to ship. it shipped that day. Then i ordered my dv6000t, that one shipped 2 days before it should have.

Definitely call them and ask whats up.

2) I'm sure someone could answer this better than i. I seriously doubt its any technical incompatibility. i think its just money. You want a nice video card? well, youre gonna have to pony up for the better more expensive processor first.

3) No idea

4) I dont use quickplay, cant answer that.

5) Didnt get the tuner. An ir reciever is for the remote control they give you.
    I can only imagine that the card literally has coax jack sticking out of it like the other tv tuner cards i've seen for desktops. or i've seen ones for laptops that have s-video (analog) and DVI

6) expect an initial 'wow'. then headache.

3. aaaaron

aaaaron Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ordered my dv2000t on Wednesday, January 31st around 3 a.m. It was shipped from China on Monday morning and arrived here (Metro Detroit, Michigan) Wednesday morning at 8:57 a.m.

4. Starfleet Captain

Reputations:
    If your #2 answer is true then that truly does suck. That would suggest that Intel and Nvidia are in bed together.

Why would I need an ir blaster? I thought that the dv9000 series had a built in ir receiver.

So, which do you like better? The 6000z or 6000t?

What gave you the headache?

5. Starfleet Captain

Reputations:
    UPDATE!!!!!:

According to my status, my notebook was shipped today, 02/09/2007 at 2:11 pm. I had called HP before then and complained. They refunded the $34.99 that I paid for the LightScribe DVD's for my inconvenience. Here's fot anticipation :)

6. aphexacid

aphexacid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had and used the DV6000Z for a whole day. I just didnt find it to be one par with the inel core 2 duo's i've tried. It didnt feel any more peppy than my 2 year old Dell 710m with an intel m proc. so i send her away.

Got my DV6000t, and i love it.

I meant the headache will be from Vista....

7. plattnnum

plattnnum Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the 6000z and it performs great...no different from CD2 when running intensive programs in actuality. Comes down to which company you prefer.

8. GCopenhaver

GCopenhaver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a CTO dv2000t on Feb 7th, and it just left the factory and shipped today (Feb 14). I hope it doesnt take to long to get here from China...

9. Starfleet Captain

Reputations:
    cool. What are the specs?

10. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Perhaps HP is locked by terms or something in what they can use with Intel-based notebooks.