how good is lenovo's warranty (compared to dell/HP etc..)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by syxbit, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syxbit

syxbit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my sis got a Dell 700m (12.1" wide) laptop 2 years ago, with a 2 year warranty.
    it started having problems getting really hot, rebooting etc..
    she called Dell, and they said they'd send her a new laptop. she asked if it'd be the same model. They said no, as they don't make that laptop anymore
    i guess once it gets almost 2 years old, they don't bother to do repairs on it

isn't that amazing?

I just got the regular 1 year warranty with lenovo, as I've not really had problems before, but if they were as good as what dell just did, i'd consider getting one.

anyone know?

2. Playmaker

Playmaker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I doubt they'll send her a new model, as in never used. It'll most likely be a refurb of the newer model.

3. syxbit

Reputations:
    i'll let you know

so does lenovo give a whole newer model laptop after 2 years, or do they just give you refurb parts?

4. panteedropper

panteedropper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    from what i understand, they only provide you with parts. I'm sure they have some type of lemon policy though, all mfg seem to have a three strike rule.

5. onexeyed

onexeyed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably one of the reasons Dell replaced her laptop was she had Dell's "Complete Care" under her warranty which would cover things like that.

6. panteedropper

panteedropper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a friend with a fancy (but old)17 inch XPS laptop. The unit had some major overheating problems and after a few days worth of b!tching, dell sent him a complimentary 60gb USB hard drive so he can back all his data up and transfer it into the replacement(M1710)

Now thats service! I still wouldn't be caught dead with a dell though.

7. syxbit

Reputations:
    it was just the regular 2 year warranty

8. foodle

foodle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lenovo's warranty service is excellent. They offer depot (mail-in) or on-site (repair person comes to you). You can extend the warranty to cover accidental damage (Thinkpad Protection). Their service has always been fast and efficient for me. The tech support staff is typically reasonably well informed (also, it's in Atlanta, not a foreign call center).

As for Dell sending your sister a "new" machine, I think this says a lot about the quality of the machine she got in the first place. With a Thinkpad a lot of people would prefer Lenovo actually fix the machine they've got rather than get a new model. Lenovo will be able to service your machine for the length of the warranty. They will stock the necessary spare parts as long as your machine is under warranty.

9. ezlynx

ezlynx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know how excellent it is. If you think the depot hanging onto a new T61 for 23 days is excellent service, well, you can have it.

Not well informed. At least, not for me.

10. tennismaster

tennismaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heck I got a free copy of xp out of dell when I told them that I wanted to reformat my machine and that I didn't have the original disc...I believe my machine was even out of warranty. But then again my service tag on my machine is connected to a very large corporation/customer of theirs.