How Good/Bad is the Razer Blade reliability truly?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by LiquidEvilGaming, Jun 11, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. ReeseATPH

ReeseATPH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can tell you that they have very poor customer support for a fact. As an example of their not liking to be critiqued - they contacted Yelp and had my negative review removed despite the fact I was 100% truthful. Which tells me just how much trouble their company must be in. To have negative reviews removed from yelp ?

Papusan, Eason, SimplyJ3sse and 3 others like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought Yelp got into trouble for doing that? Taking the company's side is exactly what we don't want Yelp to do.

You should contact Yelp, if you haven't already, and tell them you can provide proof that your situation is real and needs to be out there for others to see, because if someone else's true negative review had been there when you looked before buying, you wouldn't have purchased.

Vistar Shook and don_svetlio like this.
  4. ReeseATPH

ReeseATPH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here was Yelp's logic to remove the review: because I had not DIRECTLY dealt with the San Francisco HQ for Razer but rather I spoke to Sales Support who is located God knows where, it was not a reflection of that particular Razer location.

What Yelp doesn't know is that I did speak to someone in middle management (damage control) who had no clue how to deal with my complaint. Except to say, we are examining and revising our support structure.

In my eyes Razer San Francisco HQ - IS IN FACT RAZER

Razer must be desperate to ask my review be removed. Sign of a sinking ship, especially after Max-Q hits the market !

Eason, hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  5. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Precisely why I find them so ethically gross.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I mean @Mobius 1 can chime into this topic

don_svetlio likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    The mosfet itself isn't overheating, what kills the Razer blade is one intentionally placed mosfet on the back of the motherboard with no cooling. Is insulated by a plastic sticker, and next to it is the GPU PWM controller.

Usually it won't die right away, but overtime the thermal runaway can cause catastrophic failure on the VRM bank, even fire hazard. Incidentally all the failure happens outside of the machine's 1 year warranty.

Your experience with the Blade 870M is the top 1% of the QC population I reckon, and thus cannot speak for the majority of owners. You really lucked out on your unit, but not so much with other people.

I'm just going to put this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/5tr8wt/razer_ceo_covering_up_cheappoor_design_of_razer/

Papusan and don_svetlio like this.
  8. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's some things to know about Razer:

Despite the CEO saying that the HQ is in San Francisco, it is not. Razer headquarters is in Singapore. The original Razer was founded in Carlsbad around 1998, but had basically gone out of business when the current CEO was able to gather some investments and re-founded it in 2005. However, the Carlsbad office was now only sales, marketing, and customer service for North America while the HQ including operations, design, and product development was located in Singapore.

The San Francisco office was started in 2009 when Razer decided to work on systems, and a small team of engineers hired from OQO worked on notebooks and delivered the 1st 17" in 2012. However, sometime last year, Razer moved the systems function to a whole new team in Taiwan. Most of the original team left the company, including the VP of the systems group, while the rest found positions elsewhere including working on a Razer phone after the acquisition of NextBit.

The CEO is a lawyer/gamer/rich kid. He appreciates industrial design and product branding and is very insightful about what gamers will respond to. But he does not like, nor understands engineering. He wants to push as much of the engineering on to the manufacturers as possible. This includes quality and reliability. Consequently, mundane things like PCB layout and component selection are left to the manufacturer, resulting in issues like the cheap MOSFETs mentioned elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see what the new team in Taiwan does with notebooks, but I am skeptical of improvements in quality, reliability, and customer service given the company culture.

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    not cheap mosfet, poorly placed ones (or intentional)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Most likely poorly Engineering.

hmscott and don_svetlio like this.