1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How fast is 2gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sunny123, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunny123

sunny123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to put in 2gb of RAM in my z70va (because I want to take full advantage of the notebook), and was wondering what should I expect in terms of performance? I'm running 512mb RAM on my P3 733 rig, and I've never been blessed with the opportunity of working with a high performance pc. Any thoughts of what I can look forward to? Thank you. :cool:

2. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    512-> 1gb of ram, major difference

1gb -> 2gb of ram, neglible unless doing very ram intensive stuff(encoding, etc.)

3. sunny123

Reputations:
    So you're saying that the 200 dollar upgrade isn't worth it?

4. coriolis

Reputations:
    Well, if you have the cash, sure, but 1gb is enough for most cases.

5. aphirat

aphirat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope. 1GB is more than you need for now. That is, until Vesta comes out and take up more of our system ram :-(.

6. AuroraS

AuroraS Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the work you do on your notebook calls for 2GB of RAM (which I doubt...) then do it.
    Otherwise, if you already have 1GB of RAM, save your money and spend a night out with your significant other :D

7. sunny123

Reputations:
    I thought most new games would run a lot smoother with 2gb of RAM, but if y'all are saying it is not necessary, then I'd gladly save the cash.

8. aphirat

aphirat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MOst new game would run a lot smoother with 2GB of ram?? You can install a whole game on 2GB of ram :p, which is why it's too much and not worth it for the moment.

9. coriolis

Reputations:
    If anything the GPU is the bottleneck for the smoothness of the game.

A faster HD will improve loading times, a faster CPU will increase raw performance, a GPU is for faster video performance. RAM,well, I guess its a small bit of everything mentioned above...

I think.

I think the sugar's getting to me, not enough kids came to my door, I'm eating most of the candy ;)

10. Raidflex

Raidflex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    2 gigs is nice when you want to run many things in the background at once. I can play games or do encoding and have like 50 processes running with no slow down. I think it is alot more justified to buy the $100 extra gig instead of spend $350+ on a 7200rpm drive for maybe 15% more preformance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.