How does anyone in his right mind buy a 4K screen laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Spartan, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The most thing I hate about my 18.4" screen on my Alienware 18 is the fact that it's an HD screen, sure HD sounds nice, might look a bit crisper, but the problem is, even though my eyes are good, the text and icons are too small for my liking so I have to do a 125% DPI scaling which works well with some programs but others don't and you get chopped off borders or misaligned text/buttons.

I know that is the programmers' fault maybe, but the fact remains that not all things display right. But still, you can live with it.

Enter 4K screens, the next big thing that most new laptops have. A friend of mine bought a Lenovo Yoga the other day with a 4K screen and it came out of the factory with a 250% DPI scaling! holy crap! half her programs aren't even usable!! if she cancels the DPI scaling or goes lower to 150%, things still look tiny and you'd need a magnifier to use the laptop!

I think it's an absolute joke to have a 4K screen on a laptop.

BTW, can one not like order a laptop and choose to have a 1600x1900 screen instead when ordering from like XOTIC PC or Powernotebooks? That is my favorite resolution, looks great, no DPI scaling needed, just works perfect

pathfindercod likes this.
  2. kmthang

kmthang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know about 4K but I'm using a woo 1080p on my 17.3" screen and I haven't notice any saving issues... Maybe I didn't change the DPI but 1080p is my fav. I agree going super high resolution for laptop is stupid...

Spartan likes this.
  3. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    The problem is not the high res, it's the scaling. If both Windows and other software dealt with it properly, it would be perfectly reasonable to have 4k. That is bound to improve, simply because it has to, 4k is becoming more widespread. The problem with lower than FHD screens is the quality. You just don't get decent quality low res screens at 15" or above. I would personally never get anything below 1080p at 15", you can't get enough stuff on the screen.

Akaraah likes this.
  4. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe your eyes are not as good as you think, I have 15.6 ' 1080p laptop at 100% and all it's fine and actually I had 768p screen before and honestly hated it and it looked plain ugly. As far as 4k screen issues, blame it on windows/program scaling. I have 5.7 ' 1080p android phone, no problem, my kids have 10 inch android tablets with something like 2500x1500 resolution, no problem whatsoever either, so it's not resolution itself, it's scaling, especially older programs. And funny thing is originally PC's had 480p resolution, then the resolution keep increasing over years, but MS never fixed it once and for all, so it works properly 100%. BTW things like pictures, videos look fantastic on 4k screen and sometimes I wish I had bought one myself, but still too many problems, like scaling isues, 48Hz refresh limit or low brightness scared me away. You can always set 4k screen for 1080p resolution, if the scaling problems can't be fixed.

Georgel, Neoblazzer and Spartan like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I thought changing the resolution to anything but the native resolution made the newly changed to resolution look blurry so I don't think that's a good idea

6. Delta_V

Delta_V Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows applications generally handle the scaling fine, in my experience. It is the 3rd party programs that can get dodgy, but they are getting better. For instance, I use SolidWorks, and the 2013 edition really, really did not play nice with scaling, with some UI elements becoming completely unusable. It was so bad that I basically had to drop the resolution to 1080, then log out and back in before SolidWorks would behave. However, the 2014 edition fixes most of these issues, and I can now keep my display at 4K.

7. pete962

Reputations:
    Theoretically going from 4k to 1080p should scale perfectly, since every pixel under 1080p should consist of 4 real pixels exactly. I don't have 4k screen to experiment yet, but if I had to make wild guess, I would suspect it could be Clear Type text, that may need some adjustment (or turn it off) to make screen look sharp.

8. berryal

berryal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's only natural for people to want high-resolution displays when mobile devices 5" big are using WQHD displays already. If scaling worked then it wouldnt be a problem, text would look much better and games should be able to be scaled to 4K from 1080p easily since its an even multiple. But unfortunately, things cannot be this simple..

9. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One great thing about 4k screens is that if you ever get dead or stuck pixels they will be too small to see

jaug1337, Peon, god1729 and 2 others like this.
  10. pete962

Reputations:
    I have Note3, 5.7 screen 1080p, my friend have Note4 with screen resolution of somewhere around 2500x1500, also 5.7 inch screen size. We loaded the same, high resolution picture and compared side by side and I hardly could believe but his was visibly sharper. I don't care what anybody says, higher resolution looks better, I've seen it with my own eyes, even on comparably small 5.7 inch phone screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.