How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nothing really more to discuss. He does not understand so he rationalizes it as waste of time and power and blah blah blah that's all I heard after that point. This is the internet so it's be all you can be till someone who know you shows up and explains the real about someone. We are all entitled to our own opinions even if some of them are incorrect. No one wanted to hear that same old argument yet again. It's so outdated I can't understand why it needs repeating over and over and over again.

So until you spend the money you claim i'm going with my own opinion. You can't afford it. Sorry. If you could have you would have never brought it up in the first place. Actions speak far louder than those words posted today.

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Interestingly that's exactly what my car is for. It's a boring economical automatic transmission box with wheels that moves me, stuff and other people from point A to point B. But mostly it's for weather protection, when it's too icy or hailing so I can't ride my motorcycle. And a good rail/bus system is something you get with a high population density, which a lot of America doesn't have. We have a bus system in my city, and I've probably used it 10 times in the last 20 years.

Papusan likes this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I don't know how 'worth it' the electrical energy spent to get world records is - but I do agree 100% that leaderboards have very little to no impact on what a manufacturer offers us in the present or near future (as far as 'performance' goes). ;)

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

They'll always have something that's just for the performance chasers, but it doesn't usually affect mainstream releases.

5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I see it more as 'they'll always have something they could charge a premium for'...

;)

6. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

Of course. That's why the top end of anything costs so much more.

7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    What a show of dismissal..

Don't know what to say tbh. I think I can safely assume that being part of an NBR community for years, all that resource of typing all these thousands of words, reading and replying to posts is literally waste of time and energy. The same tunnel vision that makes the market of BGA afloat which outnumber the people who voted the #1 option.

But one thing is for sure. Perceptions can change, Facts are facts :rolleyes:

aaronne likes this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    A dismissal of what? I can't see the #1 vote, but can guess what it is here on nbr....

I don't consider anything I do a 'waste of time and energy' based on what others do or think.

I do what benefits (not just me) the most at any given moment.

Your post came out of left field for me. Care to explain yourself further?

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    #1 vote by a wide margin right now is socketed CPU + MXM GPU. Hardly surprising given the subforum we’re in though ;)

Interestingly enough, #2 is BGA CPU + no Max-Q GPU.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    I'm not really surprised. We sell way more of #2 than #1 even though people are aware of #1 and can easily purchase one. And I know at least two of our reps push socketed stuff pretty hard because they prefer it.

tilleroftheearth likes this.