How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

Poll closed Aug 16, 2018.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

68.0%
  2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

11.0%
  3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

14.5%
  4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

3.5%
  5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

2.9%
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I see it more as 'they'll always have something they could charge a premium for'...

;)

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Of course. That's why the top end of anything costs so much more.

3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    What a show of dismissal..

Don't know what to say tbh. I think I can safely assume that being part of an NBR community for years, all that resource of typing all these thousands of words, reading and replying to posts is literally waste of time and energy. The same tunnel vision that makes the market of BGA afloat which outnumber the people who voted the #1 option.

But one thing is for sure. Perceptions can change, Facts are facts :rolleyes:

TBoneSan and aaronne like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    A dismissal of what? I can't see the #1 vote, but can guess what it is here on nbr....

I don't consider anything I do a 'waste of time and energy' based on what others do or think.

I do what benefits (not just me) the most at any given moment.

Your post came out of left field for me. Care to explain yourself further?

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    #1 vote by a wide margin right now is socketed CPU + MXM GPU. Hardly surprising given the subforum we’re in though ;)

Interestingly enough, #2 is BGA CPU + no Max-Q GPU.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I'm not really surprised. We sell way more of #2 than #1 even though people are aware of #1 and can easily purchase one. And I know at least two of our reps push socketed stuff pretty hard because they prefer it.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Huh, didn’t know that. I would have thought that most who would want Clevos would push hard for socketed and those who wouldn’t also wouldn’t know/mind about Max-Q v not Max-Q.

8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    So more msi gts than clevo p7xx/p8xx?
    What are percentages of laptops sold with a mxm gpu vs laptops with a soldered gpu?

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Not so much GTs, just overall (including lower spec like P6XXX and GE/GS series, etc.)

Can't release percentages, using interest from sales so this may be less than scientific, but here's what people come looking for in descending order:

1. What is the highest GPU I can get with X dollars?

Under a certain price point, forget what it is at the moment, that answer is always BGA CPU and BGA GPU (non-MQ).

2. What is the best GPU I can get in a system under X weight and thickness?

Again, that pretty much point directly to BGA CPU and BGA GPU (non-MQ) at any price point.

3. What is the most portable system I can possibly get with discrete graphics?

You can see where this is going. Further down the list would be things like What is the highest performance I can get out of a laptop and What is the laptop with the most replaceable components, but that's not something that's necessarily desired by a lot of people, and a lot of those even are lost to desktops.

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

The P650s were very popular, even though they were BGA. And a lot more people than expected knew what MQ was before coming to us. That tells me that they're at least doing a little homework before talking to us, which is never a bad thing.

sicily428 and Jarhead like this.