How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yet you own a 860M laptop?:D

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Like I said—I don't need that sort of power. I've got the itch several times, I don't disagree—but every time I go: 'what will I end up doing with it? Game? What am I doing on my notebook now that warrants an upgrade? Anything intensive, anything that's currently deal-breakingly slow that I absolutely need to upgrade? No? Then I shall not buy it.'

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ole!!! likes this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a waste of money - who am I to judge anyway though? Since you're asking , I don't think competition is a waste of money because it breeds excellence. I want excellence to breed in all facets of life, not mediocrity.
    I think your way of viewing competitive overclocking is extremely one dimensional. I'm not implying you're a moron but you haven't really thought through what you've said.

Ashtrix, Papusan, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  4. AZHIGHWAYZ

AZHIGHWAYZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation

Humans by nature are competitive. Like any other competition, someone sees someone else hit a high number on a benchmark and says to themselves, "I can do better than that.". If the competition coincides with a hobby or something they enjoy doing and/or get satisfaction from, they will likely pursue it. They will budget money for this endeavor just like anyone else who has a hobby or two.

So while you may see it as a waste of time and money. The same can be said of any other hobby. It's all personal perspective.

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  5. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm really just going off of what you already said in this thread about what you can't afford.:D
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/i-am-finally-upgrading.807710/

Now that is something I can respect, but when you say all this stuff you could buy, but don't need...Is like me saying I can buy 10 bugattis, but I don't really need one while I ride my skateboard to work 10 miles from here. It just loses all it's steam and no one really cares.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    After using my newly acquired M17x R2, RGBLED needs to make a comeback, ASAP.

Ashtrix and ssj92 like this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I was merely replying to this clause of yours:

Unless I was mistaken, this, from my perspective implied 'haha, look, he's too poor to afford the P870KM, so he is salty about everyone getting high performance and hence he calls it a waste'. I can afford it. I couldn't just take that lying down, could I? ;)

I am cynical about the true impact of competitive benching. Contrary to what @TBoneSan claims, there is no 'trickle up'. I doubt the engineers need the 'excellence breeding' of competitive benching to push out new products. Competition within the market? Definitely. It's why Intel pushed forward its launch of two more cores in Coffee Lake, because AMD pulled off its release of Zen with finesse. AMD has a solid product stack that, at nearly every price point, is better value than the equivalent Intel product. But that, again, is a managerial and financial decision, and not necessarily due to a lack of excellence in Intel engineers.

Trickle down, on the other hand? All the time. The biggest cores that nVidia produces (GP100, GV100) are not put in GeForce GPUs, not even in Quadro workstation ones, but in Tesla accelerators. The second-best Zen core bins are sent to Threadripper. The best are in Epyc. Likewise for Intel Xeon. I am confident that Nvidia's or AMD's biggest money spinners aren't the GTX 1080 Ti Extreme OC GAMING K|NGP|N DER8AUER UNLOCKED editions, but professional CPUs/GPUs/accelerators with thousands of cores, which run at a comparatively modest clocks, where the efficiency is high. For such applications, competitive benching is like playing at heels.

I'm talking about energy efficiency and use-case here, and like someone else said in a now-locked thread, a P870KM will actually be a pain in the neck when I already have a terminal connected to a render farm. I am not saying that the P870 is a waste. It has its use case. I'm sure some professionals need that much power with portability. Some gamers may live in a particularly space-deprived area, or need to move around all the time. But when I see someone blast air-conditioned air into one computer and say 'oh, I'm benching,' it really grinds my gears. IMO there are better ways to use all that hardware and electricity. Feel free to call me a tree-hugger, but it really does hurt to see this.

Concorde was fast as hell. Looked sexy, iconic, and it was bragging rights for Europe for decades. It was shafted, in favour of more traditional aircraft. All the true 21st-century designs like the 787, 777X, A350 and 747-8 prize efficiency, low drag, less weight and passenger comfort, even at the cost of speed. Military combat jet aircraft are notoriously inefficient, but they need to pull 9G manoeuvres and have immense acceleration to emerge victorious in combat. It's not bragging rights, it's a defensive necessity. I don't see private entities buying F-16s, MiGs and such, and showing off.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Private entities aren't buying military weaponry.. no. But people do by private jets. Bad example.
    I'm not sure what argument you're really trying to make other than you don't understand why people benchmark? That competitive benchmarking isn't the highest virtue for the species? Or that humans should be on energy rations and defer any form of pleasure unless it meets your discretion...?

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Good point. That's also lousy efficiency. Why do we need two turbofans to put two dozen people in the air?

Benchmarks are just that: a means to compare the performance of computer parts. A one-off test of performance, jacking up clocks and voltages to see how far one's parts may go is, in my opinion, perfectly alright. It's like buying an average car and flooring it in the Nürburgring once or twice. But doing it several times a day, every day like I see posters here doing, is a waste, I feel. Swapping out CPUs to 'get that golden one' is equally bad.

Yes, it isn't. Everyone is free to spend their money, but others are also free to criticise their decisions.

Slippery slope, much? Let me clarify. My point is that the 3DMark/HWBot/CPUBenchmark/Heaven/what-have-you leaderboards mean little to the progression of computer hardware as a whole. They are entirely for self-satisfaction, and the energy (electrically speaking) put into achieving those scores, isn't worth it in the long run.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We can't really criticise people for dumping relatively large amounts of electricity through extreme desktops & laptops in the pursuit of high benchmarks - yes it doesn't make sense to some people, but it's a hobby, trying to be scientific with your machine to eek out some marginal gains, it's your creation, it's a hobby, and it's fun for those that do it. The people that do this are also by definition very knowledgeable & passionate about hardware & they pass on their knowledge & advice to people in these forums - so there's a trickle down of benefit there. There's nothing to criticise really.

Papusan and TBoneSan like this.