How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AZHIGHWAYZ

AZHIGHWAYZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good Lord!!:eek: I don't know if I should be jealous of the systems brute power, or run screaming from the electric bill. Awesome!

2. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's sort of how a particular car is out of your reach, but to the rich and famous your car would be considered a bucket.

That bill is calculated in to benching. So it's no surprise at the end of the month.

AZHIGHWAYZ likes this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    All that electricity, just to be squeezed through several pieces of silicon, outputting kilowatts of heat which takes kilowatts of cooling, which just spits out a number at the end to make one person feel good.

Talk about a 'scale of entitlement'...

ole!!! likes this.
  4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

I think it's the same sort of thing as a project car, the journey (modding/building/restoring) is as important as the destination (a nice car / a high number coming out of the computer)

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    It seems that everyone who is hanged up in thin and flimsy always dismiss highest possible performance and call it a waste. Almost without exception.

6. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

I think right now since any direction you move performance/form factor/cooling/price requires compromises in the other areas that some end users may not want, they have to pick which is more of a priority. Once they do that there's a lot of rationalization done. I'm really not one for either extreme though. There are reasons to go thin and light and there are reasons to go powerful and heavy. Everyone's situation is different, and there are a lot of factors people discount on both sides. Same with any other type of product. There's also a case for having a wide range of different combinations of these in between.

7. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    And exactly is wrong with that?

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Nothing, unless you then hold it as a standard for what everyone else bought.

9. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    I look at it more along the lines of. "You can't afford it so discount it or downplay it" There are plenty of light weight, high priced, performanced based notebooks that get the same treatment in one form or another. And you see it all the time. (This is just an example)

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @TBoneSan, @Papusan, @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER, I dunno—don't you think it's a horrendous waste of money to throw kilowatts upon kilowatts of electricity through one laptop just for what is essentially 'hurr durr lookie here I am numba one'?

And @Tanner@XoticPC, for me, cars are a way to get from point A to B safely, efficiently, safely, and comfortably. That's all cars are for me. I understand America has a very strong car culture, but I live in a place where a new Civic costs like $100 000, and BMWs/Audis go up to like $300 000. I understand the door-to-door convenience, but when I have a decent metropolitan rail system and a very decent public bus system, I really don't see the need for a car.

Back to PCs—I don't mind tuning, overclocking, under- or over-volting to get the best bang for buck and eke out a bit more performance without having to spend more. I do it myself. But I will be very open about this: competitive benching is a waste of time, money, and energy.

As for affordability... I have enough money right now to go and buy two EPYC 7601s, several top-end M.2 NVMe SSDs, workstation-class GPUs, a dual-socket motherboard from Super Micro and 128 GB of DDR4 RDIMMs. I don't want to. I don't need that sort of power, let the people who do serious work with that, have it.

People like to jump to conclusions here...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    tilleroftheearth likes this.