How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    It seems that everyone who is hanged up in thin and flimsy always dismiss highest possible performance and call it a waste. Almost without exception.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

I think right now since any direction you move performance/form factor/cooling/price requires compromises in the other areas that some end users may not want, they have to pick which is more of a priority. Once they do that there's a lot of rationalization done. I'm really not one for either extreme though. There are reasons to go thin and light and there are reasons to go powerful and heavy. Everyone's situation is different, and there are a lot of factors people discount on both sides. Same with any other type of product. There's also a case for having a wide range of different combinations of these in between.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    And exactly is wrong with that?

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nothing, unless you then hold it as a standard for what everyone else bought.

5. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I look at it more along the lines of. "You can't afford it so discount it or downplay it" There are plenty of light weight, high priced, performanced based notebooks that get the same treatment in one form or another. And you see it all the time. (This is just an example)

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @TBoneSan, @Papusan, @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER, I dunno—don't you think it's a horrendous waste of money to throw kilowatts upon kilowatts of electricity through one laptop just for what is essentially 'hurr durr lookie here I am numba one'?

And @Tanner@XoticPC, for me, cars are a way to get from point A to B safely, efficiently, safely, and comfortably. That's all cars are for me. I understand America has a very strong car culture, but I live in a place where a new Civic costs like $100 000, and BMWs/Audis go up to like $300 000. I understand the door-to-door convenience, but when I have a decent metropolitan rail system and a very decent public bus system, I really don't see the need for a car.

Back to PCs—I don't mind tuning, overclocking, under- or over-volting to get the best bang for buck and eke out a bit more performance without having to spend more. I do it myself. But I will be very open about this: competitive benching is a waste of time, money, and energy.

As for affordability... I have enough money right now to go and buy two EPYC 7601s, several top-end M.2 NVMe SSDs, workstation-class GPUs, a dual-socket motherboard from Super Micro and 128 GB of DDR4 RDIMMs. I don't want to. I don't need that sort of power, let the people who do serious work with that, have it.

People like to jump to conclusions here...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yet you own a 860M laptop?:D

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Like I said—I don't need that sort of power. I've got the itch several times, I don't disagree—but every time I go: 'what will I end up doing with it? Game? What am I doing on my notebook now that warrants an upgrade? Anything intensive, anything that's currently deal-breakingly slow that I absolutely need to upgrade? No? Then I shall not buy it.'

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ole!!! likes this.
  9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a waste of money - who am I to judge anyway though? Since you're asking , I don't think competition is a waste of money because it breeds excellence. I want excellence to breed in all facets of life, not mediocrity.
    I think your way of viewing competitive overclocking is extremely one dimensional. I'm not implying you're a moron but you haven't really thought through what you've said.

Ashtrix, Papusan, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  10. AZHIGHWAYZ

AZHIGHWAYZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation

Humans by nature are competitive. Like any other competition, someone sees someone else hit a high number on a benchmark and says to themselves, "I can do better than that.". If the competition coincides with a hobby or something they enjoy doing and/or get satisfaction from, they will likely pursue it. They will budget money for this endeavor just like anyone else who has a hobby or two.

So while you may see it as a waste of time and money. The same can be said of any other hobby. It's all personal perspective.

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.