How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This isn't far off, or if you're willing to make some compromises, it's possible now. There are many great examples of powerful mini desktop builds that I've seen. I'm not sure if there's a good portable monitor option for road warriors yet, a quick look on Newegg doesn't show any inspiring options. And to truly match laptops you'd need a battery in the mix somewhere.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

But on a more serious note, the technology is here today for seriously portable desktop computers, even with a battery power supply. For example, I recall LTT producing a video on a VR desktop backpack (sorry, forgot the make/model) and that seems to perform as well as a gaming laptop in terms of battery life and performance (or better). Though they were using a VR headset and not a monitor...

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are also commercially available VR backpacks. It's an interesting concept, though it seems like it would go through batteries a little faster than I'm comfortable with.

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Ashtrix and Arrrrbol like this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty much the only reason Apple still exists. Sad but true.

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    And flooding public schools with subsidized machines. At least when I was in school and after as I got into building, a lot of peoples' first, only and longest experience with computers was with Apple and by the time they can afford their own system the only thing remotely familiar to them was Apple so they never switched.

Ashtrix, Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think that depends on the country. In the UK I had almost no Apple computers in any of the schools/colleges I went to, with the exception of one room with a bunch of old PowerPC Macs in it that I recall nobody liked using. Perhaps that is why the Apple market share is generally lower in Europe than North America.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Definitely true, they seem to have focused their efforts in USA schools. And it's been a while since I was in one so I'm not sure what the percentage of Apple systems are there now. In high school it was all Apple except for one computer classroom that had a PC specific intro class.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think the population of sheeple with money to waste on severely overpriced tech garbage is higher in North America than Europe. Otherwise, Apple would already be out of business. With few exceptions, not all, Apple/Mac lovers are generally the most technically ignorant self-proclaimed geeks I have ever seen. Many view themselves as being tech-savvy and what that means to them is they know where to point and click to make stuff happen on a Mac or an iPhone and they are wizards at getting things done using the app crap that comes bundled with the OS by default. Windows 10 is the ideal (notice I did not say perfect) Mac OS replacement for these yuppies. That's one of the reasons Windows 10 is such a pile of feces.

If there is one thing we can count on, like money in the bank, it's a goofed up mess from the USA public school system. Being run top-down by goof-balls with cockamamie ideas about religion, politics, family values, climate change, etc. I find it amazing any of our kids are able to spell their names correctly... but, they get credit for trying even when it's not done right. Apple products fit into that mentality perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Ashtrix, kosti, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    The ad hominem is way too strong...

Mr. Fox and Jarhead like this.