How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    I play a fair bit on a Steam Link in my living room (tied to my desktop), on a 1000/1000 LAN, so I'm guessing so long as you have a good ISP connection, it should already be close to feasible (if not already). That would be my guess at least.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Not if the FCC lobby stops you.

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    We are there already, just that wide consumer availability isn't there yet.

An uncompressed (meaning as sent from the GPU to the monitor, through DisplayPort or HDMI) 60 FPS 1080p video stream plus a 5.1 24-bit 48 kHz sound stream requires a bare minimum data rate of,

for the video stream:

24 bits per pixel × 1920 horizontal × 1080 vertical × 60 frames per second = 2985984000 bits per second;

for the audio stream:

24 bits per sample × 48000 samples per second * 6 channels = 6912000 bits per second.

Total = 2985984000 + 6912000 = 2992896000 bits per second, or nearly 3 Gbps, thrice the data rate of the maximum speed that most ISPs release to consumers, i.e. 1 Gbps. It also means most of the Cat5E cabling in the world will need to be upgraded.

To save you the calculation, 4K 60 FPS requires almost 12 Gbps.

We already have 10 Gbps and 40 Gbps hardware. It's just not widely available yet, and given American ISPs' tendencies to leech the heck out of their consumers, it'll take a while.

As our colour spaces (and hence bit depth) widen, and we get better audio hardware, these numbers will change. I think a global 100 Gbps network will do very well. That means a full 2.5 hour Blu-ray film downloaded in under a second. I look forward to the day when it's PCIe NVMe SSD speeds that are the bottleneck, not slow 1 Gbps cables and NICs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    laserbullet likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For some folks that will mark the end of "high end" overpriced gaming laptops forever. Adequate is secret code word for inadequate trash. The prevalence of inferior BGA filth has already put us on the edge of the cliff. Laptops that are the equivalent of a smartphone with a large screen and keyboard are fine as long as they are dirt cheap. Being disposable rubbish demands a disposable price that matches. I know that I am not alone in the idea that not being able to have what I want means I won't have anything because compromise is an unacceptable option. Almost and close enough only counts when you're playing horseshoes... in all other circumstances, that amounts to failure. Losers are losers, regardless of whether they lose by an inch or a mile.
    I think that is probably going to be my next upgrade as well. Having only two acceptable models to choose from, both of which require an inordinate amount of modifications to make them what they should have been from the factory, really cramps my style. While both of those options are better than the lesser options, (which are incapable of being tweaked enough to ever qualify as being awesome,) I'm getting sick of dealing with the rampant incompetence and mediocrity that is status quo in laptop land.

Arrrrbol and TBoneSan like this.
  5. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This isn't far off, or if you're willing to make some compromises, it's possible now. There are many great examples of powerful mini desktop builds that I've seen. I'm not sure if there's a good portable monitor option for road warriors yet, a quick look on Newegg doesn't show any inspiring options. And to truly match laptops you'd need a battery in the mix somewhere.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

But on a more serious note, the technology is here today for seriously portable desktop computers, even with a battery power supply. For example, I recall LTT producing a video on a VR desktop backpack (sorry, forgot the make/model) and that seems to perform as well as a gaming laptop in terms of battery life and performance (or better). Though they were using a VR headset and not a monitor...

7. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are also commercially available VR backpacks. It's an interesting concept, though it seems like it would go through batteries a little faster than I'm comfortable with.

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Pretty much the only reason Apple still exists. Sad but true.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    And flooding public schools with subsidized machines. At least when I was in school and after as I got into building, a lot of peoples' first, only and longest experience with computers was with Apple and by the time they can afford their own system the only thing remotely familiar to them was Apple so they never switched.

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.