How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious, how well do the Intel 7xxxT chips fare in those laptops? It seems as though they might be a good solution for people who want modularity but also some good battery life (like myself).

2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I agree that with a lower TDP, more SmartCache, and slightly higher clockspeed, it could be a good solution in slimmer and lighter laptops, but not these BEASTLY models.

Wouldn't it be sweet to have modularity back in mainstream laptops? However I fear that it just doesn't fit either Intel's or the manufacturer's mindset. It is too good of an idea.

Papusan and DataShell like this.
  3. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wish Clevo would do a lighter version just for ix 7xxxT CPUs. A man can dream.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. relobe

relobe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd love to see an LGA CPU laptop with the dGPU as an option. In addition to saving battery, some of us could also save money not having to pay for something that will see no use anyway. Not having a dGPU would also mean a slightly lighter package.

I'm a programmer and data analyst that spends a fair amount of time on the go every day, so long battery life and portability is a must. The stuff I work on is highly computationally intensive, but utilize only the CPU and I'd love to have desktop class performance.

ole!!! and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    It just exists:)
    Clevo n650du is an LGA laptop without dgpu

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. relobe

relobe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Right. But is the cooling solution in the N650 suitable for an overclocked 7700K? And is there a decent BIOS available?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

7. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh, and it must be fully business class. No consumer or gaming company machines. Must be a Workstation Class machine. Must have no fault accidental damage coverage, must have next business day service, and must meet or exceed Business Rugged build quality and also have easily available spare parts and accessories even when 5 years of age. Has to be Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Precision, or HP ZBook standard. Must also be Linux/BSD friendly. None of the above an option.

Jarhead and relobe like this.
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Would have also picked a business-class machine if that was an option. No use in having LGA and MXM if the laptop itself will fail in a relatively short time, imo

9. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    You can have a 7700k cpu with this model but it is not overclockable.

If I remember correctly @JerryDD has got that model with a k cpu!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  10. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think my point still stands because you don't have to be a PC enthusiast to be a gaming enthusiast, and vice versa. You can run Overwatch on pretty much anything, doesn't have to be top of the line hardware to have a good experience. If you're adding gamers to the tuner vs commuter analogy, there's at least as many that buy a stock Fiesta ST and call it good.