How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

Poll closed Aug 16, 2018.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

68.0%
  2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

11.0%
  3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

14.5%
  4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

3.5%
  5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i think datashell meant socketed CPU laptop. those older laptops with mobile CPU are PGA i believe, LGA is strictly for desktop term pretty much unless we go back another 10+ years before sandybridge. m18x and r2 had access to iGPU and can choose to use iGP or dGP via unlocked bios, ive used them and they work for sure, those were definitely socketed CPU but non lga though.

never the less even if they disable iGP for a LGA laptop, it'll force me to go for SLI option so i'd have to buy 2 graphics card incase for a backup. power saving is simple we can just crank the p state on GPU way down to like p8 and use minimum amount of voltage, but troubleshooting and hardware side of thing is annoying without iGP.

Donald@zTecpc and Papusan like this.
  2. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    For current computers, laptops and desktops:
    LGA = socketed desktop CPU. No "H" in the CPU name
    BGA = soldered laptop CPU. All are either HQ or HK.

Papusan likes this.
  3. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @ole!!! @Papusan @Donald@HIDevolution D'oh. I mixed up LGA and rPGA there, my bad. My mind still hasn't completely acclimated to the fact that we can have 6700k's in laptops yet lol.

Donald@zTecpc and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Yees. Sli before iGPU:vbbiggrin:
    All good, Sir. I know what you meant:D But more than I read the forum:p +rep

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I want NO BGA, no Soldered RAM, no glued together cases. I want modular, I want repairable, I want upgradable. Excuse me, I DEMAND THOSE CHOICES.

ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  6. Donald@zTecpc

Reputations:
    Ok, there are good choices available that fit all of your requirements.
    EVOC 16L-G-1080,
    EVOC P750DM3-G,
    EVOC P775DM3-G,
    EVOC P870KM,
    EVOC P870KM1

All are available on our website.

7. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious, how well do the Intel 7xxxT chips fare in those laptops? It seems as though they might be a good solution for people who want modularity but also some good battery life (like myself).

8. Donald@zTecpc

Reputations:
    I agree that with a lower TDP, more SmartCache, and slightly higher clockspeed, it could be a good solution in slimmer and lighter laptops, but not these BEASTLY models.

Wouldn't it be sweet to have modularity back in mainstream laptops? However I fear that it just doesn't fit either Intel's or the manufacturer's mindset. It is too good of an idea.

Papusan and DataShell like this.
  9. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wish Clevo would do a lighter version just for ix 7xxxT CPUs. A man can dream.

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  10. relobe

relobe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd love to see an LGA CPU laptop with the dGPU as an option. In addition to saving battery, some of us could also save money not having to pay for something that will see no use anyway. Not having a dGPU would also mean a slightly lighter package.

I'm a programmer and data analyst that spends a fair amount of time on the go every day, so long battery life and portability is a must. The stuff I work on is highly computationally intensive, but utilize only the CPU and I'd love to have desktop class performance.

ole!!! and Donald@zTecpc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.