How do you want your next laptop to be built?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 16, 2017.

?

I want my laptop to be built with:

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM.
  1. Socketed CPU and MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (BGA is totally unacceptable)

2. Replaceable MXM GPU so I can repair or upgrade is a must (a weaker BGA CPU is OK with me)

3. BGA is OK with me, but I DO NOT want Max-Q (I want a full performance GPU even if it is BGA)

4. BGA is fine and I want Max-Q (Performance is less important. I will sell it while under warranty)

5. BGA CPU with only integrated graphics (I don't need good CPU or GPU performance)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am sort of curious how this will play out, so I thought I would test the waters with a poll.

Things continue to look pretty grim for high performance notebooks with each product refresh and well made enthusiast grade high performance notebooks will only be something to tell your kids/grandkids about (the good old days) if we continue on the current path.

So cast a vote and sound off. What kind of emasculated crap are you willing to put up with?

I think everyone that knows me already knows my answer.

NOTE: If you own a monster desktop, or a monster DTR notebook and don't really need your next laptop to be anything extraordinary, for the purpose of poll integrity please pretend the new laptop would be your only machine and respond with what your answer would be if you could not have that beast of a desktop or DTR to fall back on to satisfy your high performance computing needs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox How about more options?

Such as "Socketed CPU, but dont care about GPU". Thats where I fall in kinda of. But I voted for the socketed CPU as likely such a system would have MXM gpu as well.Also if it is my only system, I need all the GPU I can get.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    My vote was pretty easy to put :) It's only one option which is correct. Second option would be max $200

KabyZen, ole!!!, Stress Tech and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LOL... Thanks for choosing from the available options, bro. I tried to cover most of the bases. I think if there were a dozen options there would still be at least a couple of folks that would still want one more.

The last laptop I remember seeing made like what you are suggesting was the Alienware 13 (2012) with Haswell.

Vasudev and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I voted, there's really only one option for me as you'd know. If the laptop is going to be my primary system, it might as well do as well as a bloody desktop.

ole!!!, Stress Tech, Ashtrix and 6 others like this.
  6. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    Ashtrix, Vasudev, DataShell and 4 others like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nobody said it was to be my primary system :)

8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I went based off of this:
    If this is not the case, the choice can change. A secondary notebook doesn't need to be top end, or *that* replace-able.

likebutta, TBoneSan, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, actually you answered correctly based on what I was asking people to do. That's exactly what I had in mind with the question. I will tweak it to include DTRs so nobody gets confused.

Edit: I tweaked it to read "NOTE: If you own a monster desktop, or a monster DTR notebook and don't really need your laptop to be anything extraordinary, for the purpose of poll integrity please pretend the new laptop would be your only machine and respond with what your answer would be if you could not have that beast of a desktop or DTR to fall back on to satisfy your high performance computing needs."

That can also vary based on what your standards are and how low you are willing to stoop/compromise your principles. Buying BGA "gaming notebook" would make me part of the problem and a hypocrite of the most atrocious order of magnitude imaginable.

I would prefer to never have anything I own be BGA crap if I can help it, and if I do ever settle for a BGA option as a secondary computer it will be like the last poll option and cost less than $500. You know, something just a shade or two better than my $50 rooted Kindle Fire tablet. (The Fire tablet happens to be a brilliant use of BGA and perfectly acceptable price for a BGA "computer" device.)

jclausius, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.