How do you manage without G-Sync on a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by vegetaeater, May 28, 2019.

1. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly don't think I can go back. I'd love to buy a Razer Blade 17 or MSI GS75, but the lack of G-Sync on these new machines is an absolute deal breaker for me.

I currently use an MSI GT62VR-6RE.
    I didn't realise just how great 60hz G-Sync was until I bought an external 144hz Samsung monitor and found immense tearing in Battlefield V at 90-100 fps and Assassins Creed Odyssey at 80-100 fps.

Even running them at low and reaching closer to 144hz was still frustrating. I was immeasurably happier playing at a locked 57 fps on my laptop screen (G-Sync ON, V-Sync ON in NVCP and RTSS limiting display to 57 fps).

Since then, I bought a Dell 144hz G-Sync monitor and am happy once again.

The problem is, I don't always have access to an external monitor. How on earth do you guys put up with the lack of G-Sync? Is everyone just running V-Sync? Or am I particularly sensitive to tearing?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Limit FPS if the game is bad with tearing. Otherwise I just crank up the AA until I am below 120hz (which doesnt take much)

3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've a Gsync monitor on my Area 51m and I keep it OFF all the time. I play a lot of competitive games like CSGO and Quake Champions and it runs above 200fps+ at all times anyways. Although I don't get such frame rates in Metro Exodus, Far Cry 5 and Modded Skyrim, but I haven't noticed any tearing anywhere and I'm running at 144Hz all the time. I've never ever turned on gsync since I bought the damn thing.

I don't understand this fuss about Gync, I was under the impression that it creates input lags in games...isn't it so?
    Can you convince me to use Gsync?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've never had a problem using V Sync since I don't play anything competitive that requires low input lag. The main thing is to avoid getting FPS drops, since that is very noticeable with V Sync, whereas G Sync will smooth them out and you will not notice as much.

5. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tearing occurs when over OR under the limit. To avoid tearing, you have to maintain a constant fps as close as possible to the refresh rate.

Nope. G-sync syncs your monitors refresh rate with your game fps. For instance, if you can only create 125 fps with your hardware, but you have a 144hz monitor, then a G-sync monitor will run at 125hz.

Yeah, agreed that V-sync isn't too bad. I certainly prefer it to tearing. But G-sync monitors basically give the best of both worlds.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I don't get tearing and I'm quite senstivitive to it and anything delaying frame times and/or input lag. Occasionally I run into a title where tearing occurs regardless of what I do, those titles I'll use vsync

hmscott likes this.
  7. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My preference is 4k > refresh rate, so I'm happy with a 4k monitor at a locked 60fps. I honestly find 60fps smooth still and can't go lower than 4k any more.

hmscott likes this.
  8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Different strokes for different folks

4W4K3 likes this.
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @vegetaeater I agree with you that G-Sync is worthwhile. I wouldn't buy a laptop (or external monitor) for gaming that didn't have it. A downside with the technology is that it forces the Nvidia GPU to be active at all times, so your battery life suffers. (Some laptops have a switch that disables the Nvidia GPU, but it requires a restart.)

It's surprising some high-end laptops like the MSI GE75 Raider don't have G-Sync. I'd really like to see it in more budget gaming laptops, though. When the fps dips under 60, G-Sync really helps smooth things out.

Charles

10. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use a an external freesync monitor