How do you get a $15,000 laptop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kaylya, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaylya

Kaylya Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, the Auburn football team got a laptop stolen, which the coach claims is worth $15,000. Other stuff in the article doesn't seem to indicate there was anything special about it, and it was replaced quickly.

I was thinking it was a mistake, where the coach said 15 thousand when he meant to say 15 hundred, and then the reporter didn't catch it and sent it off to AP. But then I looked to day and the thief has been charged with Grand larceny over $5,000. Now, that still doesn't neccesarily rule out that the coach thought it was 15,000 for some reason and the police haven't caught that yet, but..

So, how the heck do you get a laptop worth $15,000 and what is a football team doing with one to watch their game footage? Creative ideas welcomed! :p

2. zadillo

zadillo Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good question. One thing that would make it more valuable is if the laptop had some digital version of their playbook on it or something; although if that was the case, it would probably be worth more than $15,000, frankly. I'm not sure how you'd come up with a valuation anyway for something like that.

3. Kaylya

Kaylya Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It did have something about their gameplan on it, as well as practice footage.

The only thing that's coming to mind is they have some fancy software on it for the practice footage, and the software is basically what makes up the price.

Either that or it's case is solid gold. ;)

4. zadillo

zadillo Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would think just having their gameplan on it alone could be why they said it is worth so much. Presumably if a physical copy of their playbook was stolen it would probably be valued highly too, even though the actual "book" itself probably isn't worth much.

5. Elminst

Elminst Some Network Guy

Reputations:
    mid/High end laptop - $5K
    Specialized football stat/playbook software could easily run a few grand or more.
    Many graphics software programs run 500-1000 even with an academic discount.
    Professional level video capture/editing and playback software is easily a few grand or more.

But 15K seems a bit high to me also.

6. Aero

Aero PC/Mac...Whatever works! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I bet it has the new batteries that Lenovo, IBM, Dell are working on ;) ones that dont blow up. The ones that we cant get our hands on.
    Now those batteries are worth 10k alone :p

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Maybe it was one of those Dell XPS M2010's with like 4 gb of ram and all that, you can get those things to where they cost alot of $$$. But I would suspect that if it was really valued at that much then it was the software/game plans.

8. RedSensiStar

RedSensiStar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    $15,000 could be reached quite easily.

I configured a $7,246.15 Falcon NW Laptop. And that is without any special expensive software (3D applications, photo and video editting software, etc etc etc).

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

9. Metamorphical

Metamorphical Good computer user

Reputations:
    I like RedSenshiStar's Theory. An expensive boutique laptop like a Falcon NW with a custom, Auburn Tigers paint job, loaded with professional software like Video capturing/editing and photo editing software. The team's playbook and maybe even the team's financial info and even more confidential stuff. =P

I can believe the laptop waswork $15,000.

10. Reize

Reize Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm more in favor of believing the coach lied because he was spiteful, but that's just my opinion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.