How do I update all the drivers to a Samsung Series 7 Ultra? (model NP740U3E-S04UK)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ship69, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello

I have reinstalled Windows 10 Pro x64 onto my Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook (model NP740U3E-S04UK) using a Windows Recovery DVD created using MediaCreationTool.exe.

A) Is there any merit in trying to get the Samsung software back?
    e.g. I'm hoping it might update and drivers and even the BIOS for me.
    If so how would I download it, because Samsung do not appear to offer ANY download for my computer.
    (See http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP740U3E-S04UK )

It will take me a VERY long time to forgive Samsung for that.

B) How do I update the BIOS and any other drivers (particularly on the motherboard)

Background
    I am trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my 512GB SSD, but Windows Recovery is failing to see it. As a last restort I have managed to put my original 128GB SSD back into the computer and have re-installed Window 10 on it using that Recovery DVD. The problem is that none of the Samsung utilities are now present.

With thanks

J

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This should be easy: Use Samsung's SW Update. Note, however, that it doesn't offer 3rd party software.

John

3. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's the one! Thanks.
    While I'm here do we think it will do things like updating the BIOS & firmware?
    (i.e. anything that is not stored in the SSD)

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    It won't do the BIOS updates. Samsung provide another software for that.

John

5. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Drat! Just seen your message. Too late - I'm out of time, and can't quite face opening up the laptop to put the 128GB SSD in just to try harder to update the BIOS on the off-chance that it might help bring my 512GB SSD back to life.

Meanwhile I have managed to install Samsung Update on the 128GB SSD. The guy from Samsung told me that it updates the BIOS if needed. (But I see from your link that that may/may not be true.)

The overall impression is that Samsung really don't like supporting products - they would much prefer that we go and buy their next shiny bit of hardware. In effect the much hated Apple model.

Worse, apparently the 512GB SSD that I have is an "OEM model" and therefore there is no telephone or webchat support - just email. And as a result it sounds like it won't have any "5 or 10 year" warranty either.

I updated various things on using Samsung Update and on a whim tried to install Windows 10 on the 512GB SSD. Unsurprisingly the SSD was till not properly recognised. And the chances are 99% that it has failed, although I shall await my mSATA to USB caddy which should arrive tomorrow, to confirm this.

OK I think I'm pretty well done here.

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new 512GB SSD. Any recommendations? Is there much to choose between them? I don't think I'm going to buy Samsung again!

J

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    mSATA SSDs are getting rare (Samsung seems to be the most common among those remaining) and the price is going upwards so you may not have much choice. There isn't much difference in the performance among those issued in the past three years or so.

John

7. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can you explain one thing about SSDs - some of them seem to have cases on them. Does this matter? I will need to remove any case in order to fit it inside the laptop. Or should I buy something that doesn't come in a case?

It seems the M.2 is the new form factor, so I need to avoid buying one of those because presumably it wouldn't fit.

Annoyingly Samsung seem to be very popular and seem to get the best consumer reviews.

e.g. This Samsung 1TB 850 EVO mSATA SSD
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-1T...22&sr=1-3&keywords=Samsung+mSATA+Internal+SSD

I only need 512GB but maybe I'd use the extra space if it was there, I'm not sure.

The 512GB is well reviewed too (on Amazon), but out of stock on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_size_browse-bin_2?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:340831031,k:Samsung+mSATA+Internal+SSD,p_n_size_browse-bin:10625606031&keywords=Samsung+mSATA+Internal+SSD&ie=UTF8&qid=1491332722&rnid=187137031

Where would you recommend
    A) looking for credible reviews
    B) buying (I do rather hate the all-conquering Amazon!)

Cheers

J

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    You need the mSATA format (I found this photo [​IMG]
    and nothing else. M.2 or 2.5" won't fit.

There is a website called SSDreview although I haven't been there recently. Samsung have above-average reliability. Crucial have now stopped selling the mSATA format. Brands such as Liteon are OK but normally only sold to notebook manufacturers. The 512GB Samsung is here or here.

If you are willing to buy second hand then check ebay. Most SSDs can survive plenty of years or consumer usage where there won't be large quantities of data writing.

John

9. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes that's exactly what mine looks like.

Re reviews, what's annoying about Amazon reviews is that they have started aggregating/(conflating?!) the reviews of what are actually completely different products into the same overall review ratings.

Quick question: Once I manage to get my 512GB SSD loaded into a USB caddy, assuming it works at all what is the best way to test it? I mean I guess I will just attach it to my desktop PC's USB port and see if it runs, yes?

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Step 1 is to see if it is recognised and see if you can copy any files to/from.

Step 2 is to see if you can read the properties. CrystalDiskInfo or HWiNFO should be able to do this although sometimes the ability to interrogate the properties is limited by the capability of the interface chip.

If step 1 is OK then you should be able to run Minitools Partition Wizard to format the SSD to GPT which is what Windows 10 would prefer.

However, none of these explain why the computer BIOS couldn't identify the SSD (at this stage the partition structure is irrelevant - the BIOS is just talking to the controller).

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.