1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How do I turn off the "automatic update date" feature in Word?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by akwit, Jun 12, 2012.

1. akwit

akwit Notebook Deity

For some reason, I am out-of-the-blue having an issue with docs that had dates in them; when I open the document, all of the various dates that I have before, are now replaced with todays date. I dont ever remember setting the default to always display todays date...

How I do turn this off for ALL present and future documents?

I am using Word 2010.

2. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Evangelist

So the date is a mail merge field? If so change the field to {createdate}.

If that doesn't work then try this:

To lock a field so that field results are not updated, click the field, and then press CTRL+F11.
    To unlock a field so that field results can be updated, click the field, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F11.

3. akwit

akwit Notebook Deity

TreeTops-I appreciate the response but I dont think I understood anything you said here:eek:

I dont know what a mail merge field is.
    All I know is that when I opened a doc with dates in it that I previously had put in (think a journal)-I opened it and ALL of the dates that I had been accruing from previous journal entries (two years worth!) were suddenly all changed to the date of when I last opened the doc (a couple of days ago).

4. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

5. akwit

akwit Notebook Deity

Thank you Josea.

I am still however, not following. Do i actually type in "CREATEDATE" into those fields? When I do that and then toggle back using alt+F9, nothing happens and the dates remain the same.

Also, how did I manage to set a template for this one random document? All I ddi was open a new document...does it mean I am going to have this same problem with all future documents as well?

6. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Evangelist

You said: "When I do that and then toggle back using alt+F9, nothing happens and the dates remain the same."

Yes, it will keep that date. Save it and open next day to see if it retained the date or put in a new date.

That template you opened must of had a date field inserted somehow. Next time use a new page template and see if your problem re-occurs.