How do i properly clean Thermal Grizzly Condunaut?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Al_Jourgensen, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be sure you completely removed the polish compound. Use sandpaper +2000 grit and sand with Isopropyl 99% or similar. The polish compound being more lik a fat film on top.

Al_Jourgensen likes this.
  2. Al_Jourgensen

Al_Jourgensen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok My Friend I'm going to do it as you say. So I removed the tape from the GPU and I notice that the thermal compound (not the LM condunaut), I think is kryonaut, the one that came with it from factory, was spread trough the tiny pins around the chip. I think this is the problem. I cleaned it with isopropil alcohol, now I'm going to buy the dark tape and the nail polish and I'm going to apply it again and see what happens.

I thank you for your explanation and I'll feedback as soon as possible

jclausius likes this.
  3. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the temperature issue, I'd possibly guess that a warped heatsink might be responsible. When LM has stopped working for me in the past, the metal went 'crusty' each time - it was pretty obvious what the issue was. Leaving the LM 'stain' on the CPU die and heatsink didn't seem to make any difference to temps.

TBH, I can't help feeling that given the warranty concerns and general sense of terror that your posts are infused with, you might be better served with IC Diamond or another non-metal paste.

Vistar Shook and Al_Jourgensen like this.
  4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think what is being stated here is that one should be careful with liquid metal. Since it is conductive in nature, any soldered joints, parts, electrical components can be short circuited if the liquid metal oozes or leaks onto a surface in which you did not intend.

Since you say you've covered 'all my GPU around the nvidia chip' with Vinyl Electrical Tape, you might be OK. However, it is possible the liquid metal seeps under the tape, and is still causing a short circuit and potential damage. In cases like this, a lot of people coat their components with a non-conductive nail polish. This way, if the liquid metal does manage to ooze to somewhere it should not, the components are still protected.

--------------

Edit:

I see from later posts that you seem to now understand what people were saying and that you did have some liquid metal that spread to where it was unwanted. Hopefully you can resolve the issue. We wish you the best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:

Ok...so after a hard work i manage to put 3 times in 30 minutes periods, being the last one of 1 hour, lacquer insulation in spray for electronica, laca-aislante-en-sptay-para-electronica-v-66.jpg

it´s like the nail polish, then i put Artic Silver 5 cause the store didn´t have Grizzly Kryonaut, it´s better to leave the LM.......and follow your instructions, and the video ones, i didn´t put the tape as mentioned.........i´m getting 90º.......15 days trying to figure out a way to drop this to the initial 80º that he had and i simply can´t........what I´m i doing wrong now......everything is clean, i triple checked, i bought numerous chemicals and another thermal paste and i can´t make this thing to drop.....i´m sure i don´t have any paste or LM in the conductores, now they are covered 3 times with the V-66.
    I only start Tomb Raider for example and just let him on the initial screen, i only see with MSI afterburner, the temperature rising to the 90´s........in idle mode, or with Edge open, i get between 38 and 41º......i don´t know what else to do....

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You didnt answer my original question.

Did you not use a block or did you just use your hands when applying force to the heatsink?

You very likely have a warped heatsink

7. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    I just scewed it, i didn’t press it, I checked the thermal paste and it’s well spread. Regarding the warped heatsink that you say, you probably have a point there, I notice when I put the LM, that the marks of LM on the cooler where nearly to points on a corner, the rest had nothing, so no contact, and the more I push for the fans, the temps praticly don’t change and maybe is that....gonna RMA cause this happens in bouth of them, and the LM layer was so thin that show me that, the thermal paste just spreads it’s way out, you couldn’t notice that, but you can see that are points that have less thermal paste pressed on it.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Did you use a block or did you use your hands.

9. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    I screwed with my hands, I didn't press or used anything else, but now I pressed with my hand and screwed it

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    When you removed the LM did you use block or did you use your hands

11. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    I used my hands, I polish it.......i guess this is our answer my friend.....warped heatsink.....f********

12. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    Well, thank you all for your patience and friendship, we don’t see so much people welling to understand a problem and help, I really thank you all and if you come to Portugal feel free to contact me to have a drink, any of you guys, all reply’s were extremely important for me, I hope it does serve to other users with the same problem.

Really, Thank You

13. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Go get a block and some high grit sand paper and re-lap the heatsink

Vistar Shook likes this.
  14. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    What do you mean “a block”? Can you link, cause in Portugal a block means a brick...

I’m sorry for the trouble, but when I Google only bricks appear

And my friend, just an update, now I pressed with my hand, and screwed it, and the temps are better, 85 degrees, but with the notebook lifted up from behind

hmscott likes this.
  15. TheReciever

Reputations:
    a block, rectangle or square, anything with density and a more importantly, a flat surface to wrap around high grit sand paper to ensure you make the heatsink as flat as possible.

Vistar Shook and Al_Jourgensen like this.