How do I find the specs on a laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by phrozenphalus, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phrozenphalus

phrozenphalus Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find out if there is anything I can run on a laptop to find the specs of the machine? I'm looking to buy a used laptop but want to be able to do a spot test when I'm looking to see if the specs match up to what the seller is telling me.

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Start Menu>Control Panel> System

^in XP, for vista, go to the Welcome center.

3. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    For More Detailed Specs... go to this address, make a free PCPitstop account and run the "Full Test"

4. angelicvoices

angelicvoices Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can figure out how much ram and what processor by right clicking on 'my computer' and hitting 'properties'. You can also click on 'hardware tab' and 'device manager' to see a full list of hardware installed. In Vista the device manager is listed in the colum on the right once you are in properties instead of tabs at the top in XP.

I really like this program: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

5. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
  6. Luv Ya

Luv Ya Newbie

Reputations:
    Some of the info is also displayed when you boot your machine but the options above are far easier

7. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    SiSoft Sandra (free) install on a USB stick. When you check computer plug in stick and run, much more details, can do the same w/others CPU-Z, Belarc Advisor to name a few.