1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

How do I find out my wireless password?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by ericyp, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wirelessman

Wirelessman Monkeymod

Very wise remark.

2. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

He who comes hat in hand should do so with a little more graciousness.

On top of which, the mere fact that your computer can access a particular network is neither here nor there - all it means is that the owner of the network, whomever that might be, gave you permission to access that network with that particular machine, it does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that you are necessarily authorized to add additional machines to the network.

More fundamentally, it is both unethical and against NBR rules for any member to knowingly assist someone in breaking into a network, so every person here who's questioned your motives is fully within their rights to do so - think about it, assuming this network really belongs to you and you just forgot the password and never wrote it down, would you want any of us helping one of your cheapskate neighbors to crack your network so that he or she could help themselves to your internet service for free?

I didn't think so.

Bottom line is, routers have a reset button for precisely these reasons, and notwithstanding the remarks of a few others, having to redo your router settings takes only a few minutes and is not a big deal, so the fact that you're resistant to that avenue is further circumstantial evidence that you're asking us to help you do something you're not supposed to be doing. Finally, if it's been so long since you've been on the admin page of the router that you cannot even remember the password, then it's probably the case that your router's settings should be reviewed anyway, so resetting them is even less of a big deal.

3. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm closing this thread. Also, as a forum rule we NEVER discuss cracking passwords or anything like that. I don't care if you are a hacker or not as the information should just not be out here, this forum is not going to become a quagmire for thieves and hackers.

You have physical access to the router. So here is a suggestion that will definitely fix it.

Hard reset the router and reconfigure it to whatever password you want.

Do not bring this topic up again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.