How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Azor confirmed, it is broken on purpose. The Devil's work is accurate. Dell Hell on earth to be precise. But, they are not alone in their sins and crimes against humanity. The difference here is he was crazy enough to admit to flawed and foolish design and spin the malfunction as if it is some sort of goofy advantage. That's just nuts. If people like that are making product design decisions that affect the masses, it is no wonder we are surrounded by so much castrated garbage in notebook land. Of course, one man's trash is another man's treasure... so, there's that to consider. No thank you.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Mybe he will put out confirmation for the other brand he is General Vice President for?:rolleyes: Shouldn’t be a problem as he already has put out the cat.
    I can’t understand why Dell continues put in dGPU in their notebooks. But probably the only way to increase and hold max price point on this piece of throttling junk. When will the consumers say enough is enough? I don’t get it.

upload_2018-5-19_15-15-22.png

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Ashtrix, Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Then why the hell do they make unified HSF design anyway with 6 cores and GTX GPU?
    AW and XPS are priced similar and both performs worse out of the package.
    Now its time to get separate HSFs now.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    If the OEM goes for max sized/capacity battery in thinner notebook chassis, they must use battery with biggest possible footprint (battery with smaller footprint is thicker, and can't be used). Due the battery's bigger footprint the engineers has to hit up aka use smaller Motherboard. Smaller PCB means less space for all needed screws. Same for ram slots, ssd slots etc. I'm sure you know Dell have to use half baked 3rd M.2 ssd slots for M.2 2242 SSD (can't use normal size) + only 2 ram slots.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r5-owners-lounge.815492/page-25#post-10721543

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.794968/page-449#post-10471783

[​IMG]

Ashtrix, KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sometimes I feel newer lappies aren't better and grabbing second hand haswell/skylakes are totally worth than Kabylake AW/XPS with unified HSFs.

pathfindercod and KY_BULLET like this.
  6. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

YUP, I posted a write up on this very subject with my W110ER and why MacBooks with unified heatsinks are literally wrong. They go against how the heatpipes are designed.. Why can't companies build them like my G46VW by Asus.. Refer to below image Dell, HP, Alienware, and all of the above.. COPY THIS.

[​IMG]

That laptop with a 3840QM could handle 70-80 watts on just the CPU alone no problem oh and full GPU load with quiet fans in a 14 inch laptop. One of the best performing laptops ever all with fans you could barely hear.

You know why they hinder performance, so they can choose second hand parts, VRMs, CPUs, and stuff. Sigh, I thought the future would bring great stuff and while the 8550u is a step forward, it's also a step backwards... manufactures are making sure we don't get too excited for mobile stuff.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    KY_BULLET, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I wonder if the integrated VRMs in the older Intel CPUs would be of help in this.

At any rate, at least MSI's PS42 has that same layout in a 14" laptop (as implied by the manufacturer). Quad core U with a claimed full power MX150.

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did disable this service, even shutdown and restarted. Still those invisible power limits are taking hold. Maybe I have to re-install Windows from scratch and this time do not install *any* Intel software?

Just to make it clear: these are not "bad" power limits, and the idea of holding the CPU below 94C is great, it's just that I would like to know who and how they are doing it. How can I stop/start it and how to tweak it.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Reinstall clean OS. Secure erase the OS disks. Maybe re-flash bios first (one or two times). Install only needed drivers/software. MEI is important (Intel).
    Mind you, Processors handle this nice by themselves. No need for (proprietary) firmware/drivers or software to cripple the setup!!

Falkentyne likes this.
  10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I need to reset the BIOS because I have already flashed it 3 times with 1.1.6 and 1.2.1, but do not know how to reset it without opening the laptop and removing battery. Tried the remove all wires and power button for 2 mins and it did not work. For example my keyboard and chassis lights are light green because I set them up so from Dell Command Centre, in the previous Windows installation. This is now a clean Windows installation, no Dell bloatware, and yet the lights are still green. Either stored in the BIOS or in some other NVRAM.

hmscott and Falkentyne like this.