How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    thanks for the information. Good thing I came across this before buying one.

Mr. Fox, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Again the problem with not putting heatsink on the mosfet/vrm.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    And, like @tijo said... basically crippling the guts to work within the constraints of the chassis, instead of designing the chassis to properly accommodate the guts... that's bassackwards, and it drives lots of bad engineering decisions in notebook la-la-land.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Talk about bad engineering... Only TRIPOD is missing for this very flawed design!!
    [​IMG]

How much can Dell cripple the performance for this FRANKENSTEIN - CHIPS with next level of software/firmware?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Intel Core with Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Launched: HP, Dell, and Intel NUC

Navigating Power: Intel’s Dynamic Tuning Technology
    "In the past few years, Intel has introduced a number of energy saving features, including advanced speed states, SpeedShift to eliminate high-frequency power drain, and thermal balancing acts to allow OEMs like Dell and HP to be able to configure total power draw as a function of CPU power requests, skin temperature, the orientation of the device, and the current capability of the power delivery system. As part of the announcement today, Intel has plugged a gap in that power knowledge when a discrete-class graphics processor is in play."

"The way Intel explains it, OEMs that used separate CPUs and GPUs in a mobile device would design around a System Design Point (SDP) rather than a combined Thermal Design Power (TDP). OEMs would have to manage how that power was distributed – they would have to decide that if the GPU was on 100% and the SDP was reached, how the CPU and GPU would react if the CPU requested more performance."

[​IMG]
    "Intel’s ‘new’ feature, Intel Dynamic Tuning, leverages the fact that Intel can now control the power delivery mechanism of both the combined package, and distribute power to the CPU and pGPU as required. This leverages how Intel approached the CPU in response to outside factors – by using system information, the power management can be shared to maintain minimum performance levels and ultimately save power."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    100w on bga???

KY_BULLET and hmscott like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    All in one package. A graphics chips who contain 45% processor for your daily tasks:D
    [​IMG]

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    FCU*** BGA.
    Desktop Chips does it better.
    Now I don't like BGA at all.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    @Papusan Can you do a test for me?
    Can you downclock your cpu to 2.1GHz with speedshift turned on with value set to 200 and dGPu set to lowest clock rates and memory clocks(400 on core and 1GHz on memeory) and check the estimated battery life? Disable turbo as well. Use high performance power plan.
    I want to see the estimated battery life shown by windows 10. Because BGA chips aren't worth my time and money. Its okay to carry a heavy laptop w/o any limits.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    65W for notebooks hothardware.com/news/intel-8th-generation-core-with-amd-radeon-rx-vega Same trash but higher TDP for desktops

"In this case, Intel is delivering 8th generation H-Series Core processors that will be available in 65W TDP (laptops) and 100W TDP (desktops) SKUs, and will take up much less PCB real estate in thin and light notebook designs. In fact, Intel says that the footprint for its three-pronged solution (CPU/GPU/HBM2) is 50 percent smaller than a traditional discrete setup, representing 1900mm2(3in2) in saved board space. In addition, the z-height for the package is an incredibly tidy 1.7mm."

See what a Joke this is.... "But of course, what everyone wants to know is how will these processors perform compared to a traditional Intel Core processor teamed up with discrete graphics? Well, Intel says that its 8th generation Core i7 with Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics is up to 1.4x faster than a Core i7-8550U with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU in a notebook system. On the desktop side, an 8th generation Core i7 with Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics is up to 1.13x faster than a Core i7-7700HQ with GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q."

I have played with BGA clocks before. I have got enough of it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've played with LGA and PGA before and I got sick of it...