How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    help me understand how in my example of my laptop that the cooling is not sufficient. That's because it's your opinion of it or a fact?
    Its a thin and light laptop, it has a 15W CPU that turbo to 44w for short periods and then maintains an all core Turbo of 2.4ghz while consuming 15w, what more do you want in a thin and light laptop, how does dell improve upon that. The cpu has a base clock of 1.8ghz its guaranteed to run at that speed, so it runs 600mhz faster at full load all the time, but some how that's not good enough for you?

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure if you're replying to me or someone else. I think most people want the most performance out of their computers. No one buys a 10900K to run it at 3.7GHz (base clocks) when it can run at 5.3GHz.

In the case of my XPS, the cooling is sub par and will not allow the GPU and CPU to run at their rated TDP without throttling. Even heavy CPU loads are throttled. Even after tons of tweaking it's still lack luster on the cooling front. But it meets my requirements of a small semi-powerful laptop with a great screen, great battery life, and USB-C charging so that's what I use. If I need real performance I use my desktop.

saturnotaku and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would also add (repeat) that in many cases the frequent and justifiable complaint is that the throttling is avoidable through relatively easy modifications, such as repasting or undervolting. If that's the case, one might expect the manufacturer to ensure such improvements are already in place out of the box. Some manufacturers use liquid metal as thermal compound, Dell continues to use... well, something else - probably not the actual toothpaste. To be fair, they've made good progress on the cooling front in their Alienware laptops by following Razer and deploying vapor chamber, however, more effort would be welcome I understand. Hopefully, they will follow Asus' liquid metal practice at some point.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While I agree with you there, I think one of the reasons why companies offer CPUs unsuitable to reaching there max potential in some of the light chassises is because if one company does it others feel compelled to follow suit or their product line looks bad on paper/marketing perspective. Seems they can generally be fine for burst performance which they can handle vs sustained which is a hit or miss depending on chassis. Gonna admit I'm one of those consumers who's knowingly/foolishly bought the highest CPU option in a chassis that wouldn't sustain peak/high clocks for long. Hint don't look at may sig lol. Also that Sager (Edit: Sorry meant the XMG mentioned by MyHandsAreBurning) looking at a Notebookcheck review had like surface temps peak at 64C, which doesn't seem ideal, some vendors on the other hand may focus on surface temps and reduce sustained clocks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    tilleroftheearth and etern4l like this.
  5. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How hot does your laptop run while sustaining a draw of 15w? Judging from your TS bench video, I would guess 85C or so; and this is certainly just my opinion, but I would expect a much better cooling solution even from a thin and light.

etern4l likes this.
  6. Silvr6

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Glad you asked, and to be clear it thermal throttles when its at 4ghz on a single core or at 3.6ghz on quad cores, but it power limit throttles otherwise, i'm not sure what more you could ask for 2.4ghz in a thin and light laptop and temps in the high 70s

But go ahead and tell me how this laptop doesn't perform like it should because dell screwed it up. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ing-behavior-on-dell-inspiron-13-7000.809595/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Probably when they make them even thinner and the heatsink has to follow same paths. The liquid metal will offset some of the drawbacks as a smaller cooling solution. Aka we will continue see same 100C target:) You just can't fill a 10 liter plastic bag with 12 liter water (remember they removed the ram slots to be able to use today's cooling solution to stay on 100C temp target). Same for about same battery capacity as older models. And tomorrow models if they become even thinner has to sacrifice a bit more. Smaller heatsink it will be. Saved by Liquid metal.
    [​IMG]
    Alienware 13 R3, 15 R3/R4, 17 R4/R5, m15, m15 R2/R3, m17, m17 R2/R3, Area 51m and Area 51m R2: Resolving a high temperature or overheat issue

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How about 60s at 16-17W and 3.9Ghz rather than 2.5Ghz?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:32 PM
  9. Silvr6

Reputations:
    You want to defy physics? Be my guest show me a cooling solution that would fit in the Inspiron 13 7000 that wouldn't make it any thicker than it already is. Again Apples to Kumquats, lets see the cooling system on your 8750H CPU I bet its slightly more robust than the one I have

[​IMG]

So to be clear, you are comparing an Alienware M15 and the temps it gets to an Inspiron 13 with a 15W CPU and tiny cooling system.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:59 PM
  10. Silvr6

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

That's at idle..........fans are not running and its around 60c, happy yet. Does your alienware turn it's fans off when its doing things on the desktop and is completely silent?