How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Same processor (i7-9750H) and both gamingbook brands come from same company... One is Dell's more expensive gaming flagship while the other is in the cheaper Mid-range Gamingbook. This show how bad it can be when the engineers inhouse same walls play the firmware lottery.
    upload_2019-11-29_4-15-6.png

Dell G7 15 7590 Laptop Review: Alienware Performance for Less
    On top you'll get upgradeable memory, as well also upgradeable Wifi card.

@Mr. Fox Can you explain how this is possible? Pay more but get less. What a deal!

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Papusan, not really an explanation, but not everything is worth buying - even if it's a flagship. ;)

In Dell's case? Buy? NO! Is the correct answer.:D

Yeah; haven't met a Dell I'd actually give $$$$ for. ;)

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Wishing @Papusan, @Mr. Fox and everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. Be safe out there!

And grab some deals if you can too. :D

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Closest thing to an explanation I can identify...
    [​IMG]
    You as well, bro. We all have much to be thankful for.

Vasudev, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    For your both... And Happy Thanksgiving for yooo all!
    [​IMG]

Vasudev, tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Rafale77

Rafale77 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wish I had done some research and found this thread sooner. End of 2018, I got myself iGPU Inspiron 5570 with a nice cool running i7 8550u and no dGPU... well so I though. I tried to run it for a couple of weeks before giving up. It wasn't a primary computer so the return period was long expired by the time I really tried to make it run. Realized it was overheating like crazy and gave up on it. It was cheap so I dumped it in my garage until... well the virus gave me time at home and got me to take it out of the trash can and gave it another shot. OMG what a piece of crap heatsink they put in there... I really wonder why they are not yet getting class action lawsuits for burning people's hands or laps or not meeting specifications.
    Results of my tests:
    https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-inspiron-5570-gets-burning-hot/td-p/7261360/page/3

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That is pretty sad. I read your thread at DCF. If strapping an M.2 heat sink on top of the original heat sink makes that much improvement, imagine what might have been possible had they actually given a rip about quality and had not done such a terrible job on the thermal engineering.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2020
  8. Rafale77

Rafale77 Newbie

Reputations:
    I know, shocking isn't it? When I removed the heatsink, I immediately thought to myself, "How can this dinky thing, have any sort of thermal capacity?". It isn't just about thermal conductance, the material needs to physically have enough thermal capacity to absorb/buffer the heat from the CPU without raising in temperature before conducting it. Saying that these 15W TDP CPUs stress any cooling system is an outright joke. The responses on their forum from their staff are even more outrageous with mention of it being normal to hit 100C. I am a ChemE working in the semiconductor industry. The IHS on the intel desktop CPUs should passively cool better than this junk by the fact that they bear more weight. An M.2 copper heatsink with a not so optimized interface (thick thermal pad and very uneven surface on top of the stock HS and attached by 2 rubber bands) managed to render my laptop passively cooled while running at near ambient temperature at idle. Heck this thing has no reason to ever be hotter than the DC power supply it came with even under stress in a laptop this size. I see an incredible amount of threads on the Dell forum discussing overheating and throttling issues on various models for years.
    When I look at the components of this laptop: Crippled ethernet at 10/100 saving a whopping ~50c, single channel wifi saving $1-$2 and saving 20c of cost to crippling the pcie port by eliminating a couple of PCB traces, and now this junk of a heatsink, I really wonder what return they got out of it.
    These people just have no shame.

Vasudev, raz8020, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    As long as people are willing to waste their money on broken garbage, and idiot reviewers on YouTube are willing to minimize unacceptable glaring defects, they will be happy to continue accepting money for trash.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    raz8020, Rafale77, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Had the chance to pick up an 'unbelievable' deal on a Dell about 5 months ago. Didn't give in to the 'savings' I would have profited from. Dell Hell is real. It has always been like this.

The Surface Pro 7 was also bought and tested with open eyes. Nothing like it when it worked (but, I went through 5 of them in two + months) but in the end, all were returned for full refunds. That should give MS a wake up call (if everyone only kept what actually worked as it should and returned garbage).

I was sitting on $20K+ on hardware that was going unused, but with no shouts or histrionics, the giant MS eventually authorized the return.

My trusty ThinkPads are still plugging along. Even with just a workload that is now a tenth of what it was just a few short weeks ago. No worries, life is more important. :)

Stay safe my friends. Take care.

Vasudev, raz8020, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.