How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What of the new thin m branded Alienware’s or similar Dell gaming notebook models have hardware which put out ~200-300 W heat? Remember they switched to Max-Q for Turing graphics.

Dell even upgraded and put in unlocked i9-8950Hk advertised with @5.0GHz in a chassis which can’t cool the weaker i7-8750H. Fixed the problem... Updadated their specs sheet so none can complain about 100c *is the normal*.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Ashtrix, Cass-Olé, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I was setting an upper bound; it is why I said 'up to 1 kW'. Is it not true that the P870 can come bundled with a 780 W adaptor? Where does all that power go? Surely it doesn't vanish into another dimension? Computers are literally complicated resistors. I daresay the only component in a PC (notebook or otherwise) that isn't an effective resistor is the display.

Like I was saying above, they are upper bounds for power dissipation. If you have a 230 or 300 W power adaptor, it is fair to assume that that is the maximum power that will enter a notebook, and all that power has to exit somehow. I'd say the display of a notebook at full brightness is about 5 W. Literally every other component on the notebook is, somehow or another, a resistive transducer. If you have a power adaptor of 200-300 W going in, you will dissipate up to 95-97% of that as thermal energy from the notebook. This needs an effective thermal dissipation apparatus of heat pipes, heatsink fin arrays, fans. And even the fans draw power, which add to the heat.

There is a fair bit of cognitive dissonance in this statement. Many buyers, rather than 'greedy', are uninformed. Why are they expected to know the technicalities of fluid and thermodynamics, semiconductor physics and hardware design while making purchase decisions? It is the role of reviewers, and even salesmen to help consumers make informed choices.

However, I agree with this. It wouldn't make most notebooks perform like desktops, but stock performance would be guaranteed, which, as I pointed out, isn't the case for the MacBook Pro. I have particular beef with that, because it is arrogant design at its extreme.

rlk likes this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Rember the cooling design (heatsink/pipes) is created for Cpu and Gpu. Internal designs cooling capacity is another animal. You simply don’t design heatsink capacity for screen panels power consumption etc.

See also... Intel doesn’t put out guidelines to the notebook manufacturers like “minimum needed cooling capacity” for others hardware.

And NVIDIA follows same practice.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Ashtrix and raz8020 like this.
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's a difference between 400W and 1000W, I have never seen wall draw on benching beyond 620W on mine (that includes adapter losses), and that's the worst case scenario, the outlier.

Trust me, when I use my thing in winter, 400W does bugger all to heat a room up from 15C ambient.

If you're buying a multi-thousand dollar notebook, I think its reasonable to assume you also have some kind of aircon to handle the heat in the heat of summer since a portable aircon unit is ~1/10th the cost of one of these top end gaming laptops.

I make a distinction between personal service salespeople who absolutely have an interest in selling an informed customer the best product to build a reputation and an "avatar client". This is one of my duties in my work, and I wish the world would wake up and realise it is the superior way to conduct sales, but unfortunately online shopping is taking over because people are increasingly lazy and time poor, because cat videos don't watch themselves and everybody spouting rubbish on farce book and YouTube need to be corrected, or something.

Tech purchasing is however largely depersonalised and there is no human-human contact or personal service, there is no salesperson assessing suitability for the buyer's wants and needs and "informing" is done largely by mass advertising. Advertising != information.

Advertisements are legally allowed to talk as much "puffery" as they want up to the line of "deception", which is difficult to prove. Broadly speaking across Western systems based on British Common law principles, the case law in consumer protection and misleading/deceptive conduct is perverse; the more ridiculous the claim, the less likely the "reasonable buyer" will be found by a court to be able to rely on that claim in a purchasing decision and be "misled"; so it is in one way in the seller's interest to make the lie big and ricidulous while retaining defensibility. Spec based lies are easy to prove, but wiggle rolm is still there... Graphs with a non-zero low point, "95W TDP" and "sub 100C is normal CPU operation" are some examples. Claims of relativity such as "performance" and "portability" are inherently subjective in their interpretation and hard to prove "deceptive" in mass market advertising such as a web page, and especially, when any 3rd party reviewer makes the claim, it is automatically arm's length from the seller. Short of obvious provable outright deception, it is always the buyer who is responsible for who they choose to listen to in making their choice.

I agree that shills and insufficiently independent reviewers make up far too much of the "research material" that someone could find in the tech press, but that's why everyone should use good internet research practice, sifting through multiple sources and looking for findings that relate to your personal buying priorities, finding the more extensive in-depth higher quality sources, and avoiding the ones that have a simplistic methodology or merely regurgitate the press kit or 'reviewers guide'.

TL;DR caveat emptor.

Speaking of idiot reviewers what pops up in my yt list but LTT calling a Zephyrus with a MaxQ the "fastest gaming laptop we've ever tested"......

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Amused.

Got a 17 inch chunky laptop with a 15 Watt CPU. Love it cause I can be on the net all night with it actually on my lap & no cooking my personal bits. Too old for style but comfort, now that I understand.

Lol. Sorry mate but the display just pumps out the heat too. Emission as light is going be negligible in terms of watts. The backing Led's could be as much as 50% efficient but even in theory no more than 1/3 of that can get past the coloured dots. I would be gobsmacked at more than 10% for a full on totally white screen.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    New low end from Dell! Maybe they hope you frying your notebook’s hardware right after the warranty expires and hope you will buy a new from them before time?:rolleyes:

Undervolting your Dell laptop can void the warranty Notebookcheck.com | March 25, 2019

7. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just read that. It seems like a communication error or just lack of knowledge on their part

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Rise of DAppLLEE!

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In India they are starting to do this.... Easy way to wash their hands of faulty systems.

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha. Dell's service department must be looking for more work! Idiots.

Ashtrix, Vasudev and Papusan like this.