How Dell cripple performance explained by Notebookcheck.net

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ideal state would be uninstall Dell bloatwares and rollback BIOS to older versions using Dell BIOS recovery via USB.
    I hope 9900K on XPS will have a temp set to 65C and advertised as thin BGA POS and fastest laptops that gets surpassed by Haswell and other above CPUs in peak and sustained loads.
    @Papusan Here's what I found what @Brad331 did to fix DPTF throttling mess https://bradshacks.com/matebook-x-pro-throttling/

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can't rollback the bios. And spare me the BGA hate speech.

3. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After a quick goods search, it appears you indeed can rollback the bios. So no harm, no fowl

What issues do you have with the X1E

4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Yes that BGA sentences is too far but I hate false adverts.
    I think you can bypass it if BIOS rollback option is set to USB and not HDD/EFI. Newer Dell laptops with Kabylake store a hdr file for BIOS in ESP or EFI partition that contains bootloaders. Its stored as BIOS.rcv.

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I would love to see someone roll the bios back. I've tried numerous ways and it does not work.

In terms of the X1E I've mentioned my biggest gripes here vs the XPS.

Here is a more up to date thought about the two.

I've tried to rollback the bios and was unsuccessful, I have yet to see anyone successfully go back from 1.5 to anything prior to that. Even removing the SSD and putting bios.rcv on the USB drive failed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ALLurGroceries, Dannemand and maffle like this.
  6. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Don't they have a post on their website that details how to rollback BIOS versions?

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    They have information on how to do a bios recovery but it does not work with the newer bios (I believe 1.5.0), you can't downgrade after going to that version or above.

Dannemand and maffle like this.
  8. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    That is unfortunate. So you are stuck with these hard limits? Is there actually no way around it? If so, that seems like a really bad move on Dell's part

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    So I take it you have followed c69k guide to create a FAT16 USB bootable USB drive of 1GB/2GB. If it indeed failed, then the only option is HW flashing because it seems Dell put Dual 16MB BIOS chips that checks if the primary BIOS is tampered or not with the version it is supposed to be installed. So even if you write one of the SPI w/ older BIOS the secondary will detect it as tampered and proceed to flash crappy BIOS version. Its just a theory though!

10. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Huh, that sucks... hardware flashing would probably work. Would it be possible to just flat out remove the chip? I mean, it would either completely break OR just bypass detection