How common was Ethernet before broadband?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peon, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For some reason I've always associated home Ethernet with the broadband era, but now that I think about it, tons of old computer games from back in the 90s support playing with others over a LAN, in some cases before online gaming via the internet was even on the radar.

2. ksm123

ksm123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm from Poland so my experience may be different from other countries.

Ethernet was common in schools and companies in mid 90's. But at the time networks used mainly Novell and its IPX protocol. I remember playing NetWars at school in 1995 or 1996, and DooM and Duke Nukem later on. My high school's network run on 10BASE2 coaxial.

We were getting second hand ethernet cards, of 10BASE2 (coaxial cable) variety, to connect desktops we've lugged to lanparty. (At the time, companies were ditching their 10BASE2 networks, so second hand cards were cheap and plentiful, and those networks required no hubs or switches).

In 2001 (or maybe 2002) I got my first "broadband" at home (128/32 kbps ADSL via USB modem), and I was able to build home network from components at home.

3. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I was only in elementary school in the 90s, but from what I've heard, it was very similar here in the US. Ethernet competed with Token Ring networks throughout the late-80s and into the 90s, with Ethernet eventually winning out. Back then, Ethernet and Token Ring were used pretty widely in corporate and school LANs--the internet was barely in its infancy at the time.

My family first got broadband back in 2002 with a Comcast Cable Modem and an Intel 802.11b router. I've attached a speedtest.net result with that setup from over 10 years ago (we *might* have upgraded the router to a Linksys 802.11g router by then, but that wouldn't have made a difference, judging by the speeds)

Attached Files: