How can i reformat my hard drive without deleting the recovery partition?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Blue Diamond, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Diamond

Blue Diamond Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    basically, is there any possible way to reformat the hard drive partition WITHOUT the recovery part? and then reinstall windows WITH the recovery partition after that? i have a T61 btw

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    If you're going to install Windows with the recovery partition, then you don't need to reformat your primary partition. The act of recovery will automatically format it for you.

3. Blue Diamond

Blue Diamond Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmmm, u sure? where did you hear this from?

4. mullenbooger

mullenbooger Former New York Giant

Reputations:
    What lithus said makes sense. If you recover from the recovery partition you shouldn't lose the recovery partition.

5. zillal

zillal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Am not sure I understand what you want to do. But to for instance put in a new hard disk:

1. Backup your C: drive

2. Burn recovery disks (Create Product Recovery Media in Start -- All Programs -- Thinkvantage folder). First disk has to be CD, rest can be DVD.

3. Reset to factory settings on the new disk by booting from the recovery disks.

4. Restore your C: drive

If you already destroyed the current recovery partition you can get recovery disks from Lenovo support for around $75.

6. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    Where did I hear it from? That's the definition of a system recovery...

7. djshack

djshack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From recent experience, if you use the recovery DVDs/CDs you make yourself, they literally wipe out your hard drive and reinstall all three partitions (S:, C:, and the Lenovo one that's useless once you've burned the discs). Your computer will be exactly how it was when you took it out of the box.

Actually kind of annoying IMO. I'd prefer a freakin' Vista disc without the Lenovo stuff.

Also, does anyone know if the computer would still boot without the S: partition? Is that just for recovery, or also for booting? I can't wait for final 7 to come out so I can just use a Windows disc (no Lenovo partitions and crap).

8. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The S: partition isn't needed for booting. The day Win7 RC was publicly released I wiped my hard drive clean and installed Win7 (and Ubuntu 9), without the Lenovo partitions. No problems so far.
    Of course I created the recovery DVDs beforehand.

9. djshack

djshack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know it's not needed for 7, but is it needed for the factory/recovery install of Vista? I can't figure out if it just keeps some backup/recovery info on it, or if Windows actually loads from S: rather than C: (again, only with the factory Vista).

10. zillal

zillal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The S: partition is a Windows predesktop area (google on predesktop).

So in the factory preload MBR points to the S: partition that then loads C: (unless you push Thinkvantage/F11 button).

It also uses track 0 following MBR. That's why cloning a factory preload with Acronis True Image won't work, Acronis copies MBR and the partitions but not track 0.

Anyway when you do any kind of clean install you wipe MBR so as you no longer can enter the S: partition you might as well reformat reclaiming the space it uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.