1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Homegroup icon suddenly appeared on desktop? Why?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by techNOguy, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techNOguy

techNOguy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just noticed that a homegroup icon suddenly appeared on the desktop today. What is it and why did it suddenly show up? I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64.

2. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    what homegroup is, you should know, but it's another topic (in short, it's awesome :))

why the icon on the desktop? well, i guess you accidentally dragged the homegroup icon in explorer out of the window, which created a shortcut on the desktop. i know, always blame the user.. but it happened to me, too :)

3. zirdaj

zirdaj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been there.:p

What happened in my case is that when I was connecting to a new network, I accidentally created a homegroup (it is one of the windows/options that will open up when connecting to a new network). Delete your current homegroup (you can see it at the network and sharing center), and the homegroup icon on your desktop should disappear as well.:)

4. Kocayine

Kocayine Formerly 'myDooM'

Reputations:
    It's a nice feature, but i like to keep my away from my family so yeah, i've disabled it completely.

5. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    Homegroup libraries allow you to make files as accessible or inaccessible as you like

6. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    enable it again, and just don't share your files. that allows you to use the shared files of your family :) (and their printers and such).

well, my setup is home-server-based, so it's a bit different anyways. homeserver2 should have homegroup integrated, will be fun :)