Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    Well your the first I've seen say OCZ support is good... that being said they do make some decent SSD's... I have an Aglility 2 90GB in my 2010MBP and can't complain one bit... works amazingly.

I seen it over and over again, OCZ will delete posts... and it's also true that they got caught over the 25nm thing, which is disgraceful at best...

I would personally pay 10$ to get the M4. but not 50$.

2. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    about that 25mm thing...they were advertising their drives had 34nm NAND, but they actually came with 25nm NAND?

3. ForeverZen

ForeverZen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They just made no distinction between the two at launch. Not a huge deal and they offer replacements. Doesn't exactly warrant pitchfork & torch wielding villagers, but still a good point to nit pick if someone feels the need to nit pick.

@Ferarri $250

Thanks his name his jake, he is the sweetest dog on earth. He's alot bigger now though lol. :)

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    After FOUR DEAD OCZ drives and a crucial drive that worked flawlessly I know what brand I am sticking to.

Also beyond a point you wont notice the difference anyway.

5. ForeverZen

ForeverZen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's some bad luck you have there. I have never gotten a bad ssd and I have had quite a few. All but one have been ocz, the one being patriot.

6. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They were advertising 115 GB drives as 120 GB drives and 57 GB drives as 60 GB drives. The raw NAND capacity on both was the same but 25nm NAND requires more spare area due to the lower number of P/E cycles, hence the difference.

Of course, there was also the issue of the initial batches of 25nm drives being only 50-60% as fast as their 34nm cousins.

It's not like they set up a replacement program willingly - they only offered replacements after angry users complained loudly and publicly for about a month, by which time all of the major tech media had picked up on it and began pressuring OCZ on behalf of their readers.

Their initial responses were along the lines of "there's nothing wrong with selling a 115 GB drive as a 120 GB drive" and they tried to play all sorts of games with their customers like blaming the retailers for false advertising when in fact the box itself said 120 GB, so I'd say that it does warrant pitchfork & torch wielding villagers.

There's good reasons why people think OCZ is a shady company, even without Sandforce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.