Holiday Build, 45 year old NIB Rare 1973 Heathkit!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Dec 26, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Rare 1973 Heathkit BUILD! Pt.1
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Dec 26, 2018

Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    For those of us that want to see the assembled unit, before the kit gets finished in multi-part video's :)

#153 Heathkit IT-12 Signal Tracer repair and restoration

Published on Oct 14, 2017
    More than 45 years on the shelf and never been used.....

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Rare 1973 Heathkit BUILD! Pt.2
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Dec 27, 2018
    Part Two! This time I set out to assemble the main chassis, with some surprises along the way. It seems that this will be at least a 4-part series, but I'm not complaining. I want to enjoy this as much as I can.... and I hope you will too!

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Rare 1973 Heathkit BUILD! Pt.3
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Dec 30, 2018
    Okay- we're up to part three of the nostalgia IT-12 Heathkit build and in this episode I go all-in with wiring and soldering the chassis. A few difficulties, not to mention a great deal of editing - I shot 5hrs of footage and spent a full day editing, so... Enjoy!

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Rare 1973 Heathkit BUILD! Pt.4
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Jan 1, 2019
    In part four of my idanno how many parts series of the nostalgia Heathkit IT-12 build I set out to get the rest of the sub assemblies done and find that I have to come up with some of my own solutions. All part of the Heathkit experience. I talk about Magic Eye Tubes and some other stuff too. Enjoy!

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Rare 1973 Heathkit BUILD! Pt.5
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Jan 7, 2019
    Final assembly! Will it work? It's a Heathkit - anything could happen! Enjoy!

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Somehow missed posting this short excerpt video explaining the "magic eye tube", here it is for your enjoyment. :)

Magic Eye Tubes
    Fran Blanche
    Published on Jan 3, 2019
    In this short excerpt from the 4th part of my nostalgia Heathkit IT-12 build I briefly explain the structure and function of the magic eye display tube. Enjoy!

Duck Landes 1 month ago
    "In the late 1960's and 70's I had a 1940's Zenith AM / SW radio, about 4 foot tall, with a Magic Eye. I loved that thing, I would sit in front of it for hours and hours listening to shortwave stations, and finding distant AM stations that my modern receiver wouldn't pick up even a hint of. I listened to a lot of world news, Voice of America, Radio Moscow World Service (with Moscow Molly, she almost sounded American) renamed Voice of Russia in 1993, and every other station I could find broadcasting news in English. I always figured each one was lying about something and the truth lie somewhere between what they all said. I always had visions of someday building a 32 mile Rhombic antenna like Radio Moscow broadcast off of."

Kamil Izmaylov 1 month ago
    "I gather you are not in US, since the Voice Of America was not allowed to broadcast to the US. Like you, i used to listen A LOT to the shortwaves in English. That's how i learned English. Radio Netherlands was one of my favorites. Nowadays i listen to podcasts. All the best."

Duck Landes 1 month ago
    "Kamil Izmaylov: They were not allowed to "direct" VOA at Americans, because it could have been considered as propaganda. But we were still able to receive it and listen. The only way they could have stopped us would have been to use jammers, which many other countries did do."

videolabguy 1 month ago
    "The magic eye tube was invented by Alan B. Dumont, the inventor of the long life cathode ray tube. It is actually a galvanometer with no moving parts - beside the electrons. Prior to the 1920s, cathode ray tubes used a spike cathode, no heater, and operated at about 100,000V. The life of the electron gun was no more than 8 hours. Then the tube was rebuilt. The iconoscope cameras at the 1929 Olympics in Berlin were operated this way. Each night, the tubes were pulled from the cameras and rebuilt for the next day. DuMont developed the long life indirectly heated cathode when he was 14 years old."

Paul Schaefer 1 month ago (edited)
    "Back in the early 2000s I ran across a website with a lot of information on magic eye specs, even animated GIFs of many different styles of eyes. But I lost the URL and can no longer find it. Could be the maintainer discontinued it. One of the most interesting magic eye implementations I remember was in a mono FM tuner on the PA system at my junior high school, late 1960s. But the eye, may have been a DM70 or something very similar, not only indicated signal strength, but it was moved by the dial cord so that it pointed to the frequency on the dial to which the radio was tuned, i.e. instead of the dial cord moving a metal pointer. Edit: I see there are several videos on Youtube of the Eico HFT-90 FM tuner showing the DM70 in action."