Hmm... Very new car, lots of miles though... NBRs thoughts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not if you go looking for a recently off-lease Grand Marquis (or a recently off-lease Crown Victoria if you don't mind a fleet vehicle). The Grand Marquis, in particular, is most likely to have been driven beforehand by an older couple, who would almost certainly not have been particularly hard on the car, would not have driven as many miles as the average driver (no commuting, generally speaking, when you're retired:D), and would almost certainly have assiduously kept up the maintenance.

Since a lot of such folk are retired and can afford to turn over their vehicles on a two or three year rotation schedule (so their car is never more than 3 years old), you stand a very good chance of finding, say, a 2006 or 2007 Grand Marquis with perhaps 20,000 to 30,000 miles on it, and not a lot of hard wear and tear. Since the thing was probably also serviced properly, you could easily get another 150,000 to 200,000 out of the thing provided that you kept up the maintenance.

If you go for the LS package, you'll find a rather pleasant suite of interior amenities, along with the low mileage.

Further, the pricing is likely to be decent because (a) Grand Marquis aren't "hot", and (b) the market segment most likely to buy them tends to prefer new models over used models (and has the wherewithall to satisfy that preference); thus, the pricing will tend to be lower, on average, as a percentage of original cost, than with many other vehicles.

Finally, you could also catch a bit of a break on the auto insurance because one of the components that goes into setting the premium is the risk characteristics of the typical person who drives the vehicle being insured, which in this case tends to be older folk with good driving records and generally non-aggressive driving habits, all of which earns the vehicle itself a lower insurance premium than you would otherwise get with some that is more likely to be driven by a younger crowd.

2. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Great points Shyster. :) I stand corrected.

3. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ha Ha !! You wouldn't say that if you saw the way I drive my Crown Vic. :D

4. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yea, i hate Grand Marquis and Vics though xD

5. TravisBean

Reputations:
    Most people do. They have no zoom zoom and /or desirability. But for what they lack in that area, they more than make up for by being extremely dependable long lasting vehicles.

6. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe my dad's is just an exception to that rule than :D

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I know my 08 dodge cummins has an hour meter on it. So you can look at your miles and how many hours on the engine. You have to know some tricks to look at it though. I can't remember exactly how its done but I think you turn the key on then off then back on again(without ever actually starting it) and it will display hours instead of miles.

8. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sure I would; I would just say that you bought it for the same reasons I bought mine, including the fact that we get the benefit from all the other sedate owners, even though we ourselves are anything but sedate.

Then you'll just have to nurse your hatred in my dust.

Really? Yours must be running on only half its cylinders, then. Aside from which, they are eminently tunable in many respects, and with a modest investment in performance parts (mainly in the suspension) will do rather nicely. I've quite a few vids of tuned CVs making sushi out of any number of hopped up little rice rockets.

9. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Every V8 that I've driven gets up and goes. :p

10. TravisBean

Reputations:
    Sorry about that, poor choice of words. What I meant by "zoom zoom" was what Mazda implies in it's advertising, a certain undefinable essence of motoring and s-x appeal, that they seem to feel their cars possess (I have no feeling one way or the other about Mazdas).
    The Crown Vic/Grand Marquis never subscribed to this image.
    My Crown Vic has oodles of torque and power, no complaints, will pass just about any car on the road except for high powered specialty vehicles. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.