Highly rumored revival of the Supra..

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.
  2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Maybe I'll pick one up.. soon as its 20 years old. lol

triturbo likes this.
  3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    there will be one in my garage in 2015-2016.

4. player2099

player2099 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    a. I am curious what price segment it will be in: who gonna pay 6-series price for a Toyota...
    b. do not like any of the concept models I've seen, as I know they are unrealistic

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Given a fully loaded twin turbo Targa top MK4 Supra was in the 50k range new back in 1994-2002, it is not hard to surmise that the "MK5" Supra would be in the 60-90k range if it has similar specs (LSD, traction control, twin turbo, 6 speed manual, etc) and it had the specs to back it up (~450-500 horses, direct competitor to the GT-R). I can't imagine a Supra having less power/performance specs than the GT-R unless it was literally half price.

6. houstoned

Reputations:
    have u seen the resell value of MK4 Supras? it's held it's value better than any 6-series in BMW history. MANY (including myself) will pay for this thing as long as it looks similar to the concept and delivers on it's promised performance numbers. the 'Supra' name has so much racing history, and heritage, behind it. car enthusiasts around the world are excited about the revival.
    Toyota has already stated that they're targeting the 60k price range. they plan on pitting the new Supra vs the C7 Corvette. the MK5 Supra can be "previewed" on the new Gran Turismo game. rumor has it: the real Supra is supposed to mirror the game's FT-1 HP/TQ numbers.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Interesting so they aren't planning on having the new Supra be GT-R level performance, as that may change what Honda does with the NSX (again). Though by the later years, the NSX already fell out of contention from the Skyline and the Supra. I've heard some nasty stories about used GT-R, the DCT goes doo-doo quite fast, and the 1st gen propeller shafts crap out with too many launches.

8. houstoned

Reputations:
    at this point, Honda is irrelevant, to me. they've been happy with building decent, uninspiring, family cars for the last decade or so. let them become Hyundai or Kia if they want because Honda enthusiasts have been asking for something more exciting ever since they killed off the S2000. even if the new NSX really does make it into production, isn't it going to be a different car than the Supra or GTR? i remember reading that it was going to be a hybrid power plant. a setup similar to what the Porsche 918 & McLaren P1 are running, but i'm sure nowhere near THAT level. i just can't expect much from Honda anymore because of their disappointing exterior design language and boring *bleep* line up.

honestly, nobody expected the GTR to perform THAT well. it's still, kind of, a mystery as to how that big, bulky thing can lay down those numbers. i've never looked into it, but i'm guessing the GTR's motor is pretty underrated from the factory or is heavily restricted. AWD launches are super taxing on the car's drivetrain, so those are pretty common "problems" i guess. especially with the earlier models, i remember hearing alot of crazy stories about Nissan monitoring all GTR's and voiding owner's warranties if they find out u were racing your GTR.

the C7 Corvette is a stud. it's probably the first Corvette that i actually want to own and i've always been a fan of those damn LSx motors. i actually was thinking about picking up a used one in 2015-2016 until i laid my eyes on that FT-1 concept. it was love at first sight, so i'll be 101% happy if the new Supra can lay down C7 numbers. when i was growing up, i remember seeing my uncles with the Celica-Supras and MK3 Supras, so owning my very own Supra has always been a "lifetime achievement" for me. for around 60k...i have 0 complaints right now. i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I REALLY hope so. I love straight sixes (hence I'm not very enthusiastic about the "new" GT-R). This one especially, a friend had 335ci N54. Boy, does it goes, and BOY does it SOUNDS! It's amazing to hear a turbo engine to sound like N/A!
    I really hope that they wont give-up like all the rest, minus BMW and Volvo (scratch the second with the later releases). There are rumors that MB would return to I6, we'll see :) Whatever, go Supra!!!

I feel you :)

Trans-axle ATTESA :) The ATTESA alone was pretty trick AWD in the Skylines. Throwing the gearbox in the back makes for quite the distribution - the engine gets closer to the firewall, and a pretty nice chunk of mass is located at the back. I was expecting it to be honest. I was dreaming about trans-axle AWD (with manual and straight-6 but that's another story) way before the release of the GT-R. I was just wondering who would have the balls to pull one out their sleeves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.