higher end $2000 notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by theanswriz42, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theanswriz42

theanswriz42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Not really

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Sure, so long as there is at least a 1yr warranty.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

higher end linux system, maybe some gaming, multimedia, etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both, this is meant as a desktop replacement so it doesn't have to be ultra portable.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Possibly, likely first person shooters

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not my main concern. 1.5+ hours would be nice but not necessary.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online without seeing it is fine so long as there are decent reviews.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Linux

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. If you are unsure of what to purchase, we would highly recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what you like. You may also wish to take a look at the notebook screen guide for more information.
    Netbook resolution: WSVGA

Actual resolutions: 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, ideally 1920x1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Either is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Nope

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Likely within the next month

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

2+ years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

at least 500GB but the more the merrier. Also needs to be at least 7200RPM

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Yes, combo DVD-RW + blu ray combo

Other Notes:

Needs at least a Core i7 quad core proc, 4+ gigs of RAM, Nvidia Chipset

About me:

I'm a senior systems engineer for a well known IT company and am just looking for a higher end desktop replacement. Ideally, something spec'd out like the Asus G73Jh but with a Nvidia chipset is what I'm looking for. A webcam would definitely be nice as well.

I also don't run Windows, except occasionally in a VM.

I checked out the Sager NP8760 which might be a viable option but figured you guys are probably far more current on what the best deals and quality laptops are currently on the market.

Thanks in advance.

2. MyOnlySt4r

MyOnlySt4r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you are running linux? Then u dont need a powerful gpu for gaming right? anyways aienware m17x will work as well as Sager, Toshiba Qosmio x500 will be another option for you. Gd luck

3. theanswriz42

Reputations:
    Actually, I do tend to do a fair bit of gaming under linux and cedega. While linux isn't exactly known for being a super gaming platform, cedega certainly helps to some extent. Another big reason for a higher end GPU in a linux system is that driver support tends to last a bit longer than the cheaper ones. I've found this out from experience, sadly.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check those systems out.

Cheers

4. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While I don't know much about ATI drivers, Nvidia's drivers support all GPUs made in the last several years, including high-end and low-end, so I don't think driver support should be a reason to get a high-end GPU.

I do think you should be certain that you really need a high-end GPU. If gaming at high graphics levels and resolutions is important to you, then that's fine, but realize that you're paying a good $500 more than if you were to get a laptop with a mid-range card.

5. theanswriz42

Reputations:
    Says the guy with a $450 SSD in his laptop :D

Nah, but in all seriousness, thanks for the heads up. I'm actually debating going one of two ways. One of which is buying a sweet laptop that'll take anything I throw at it (at least for now) as a desktop replacement or second of which would be buying a mid to lower range laptop and building another desktop. In the end, it'll likely cost me about the same in cash so I'm mostly on the fence on what I'd like to do and I can't say I've bothered to keep up with the latest notebook trends.

Thanks again!

6. haquocdung

haquocdung Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Asus G73 too if you want for some serious gaming.

7. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, the first and best thing is to have realistic expectations about what you want/need and what's out there. You can spend in the $1400 range and have one of the best laptops out there, able to blaze through games at high settings and not blinking an eye when you set up multiple displays or do video editing and 3d animation.

You can spend about $800 and get a good laptop with a graphics card at half that strength, which is still able to play games comfortably at medium-high settings, still able to do 3d rendering without a hitch, and just as good as your top-end laptop in every other area, plus a lot better battery life and portability. You'd be surprised - you can get a lot of laptop for $800-900.

On the other hand, if you really want performance for gaming, 3d apps, heavy computation, etc., pay $800 for a desktop and you'll have a machine that walks all over any $2000 laptop without breaking a sweat. On the other hand, if you still need a laptop in addition to this, you'll end up paying about the same total as if you got yourself a high-end laptop. But then you'll have to deal with two separate computers, with separate installations of programs and separate file storage, etc. And you have to decide if you would end up using both enough to justify spending on each one.

So it really depends on what kind of stuff you really want your computer to be able to do, and how well you want it to do it.

8. ShinAkuma135

ShinAkuma135 The King of Beasts

Reputations:
    i would suggest the asus g73 as well but you might also want to take a look at the 17in sony notebook especially if you'll be wanting to do more multimedia...nothing really beats a sony screen

9. theanswriz42

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think you're totally right. What are you suggesting as far as notebooks go in the $1400 range with an i7 and nvidia chipset?

As far as everyone suggesting the G73, that'd be pretty ideal except for the ATI chipset in it :(

Cheers

10. theanswriz42

Reputations:
    The Sony VPCF117FX/B also looks like it could be pretty slick and seems to fit the specs of what I'm looking for. Thanks ShinAkuma135 for the advice on checking out the Sony systems. I've always had an aversion to their systems since the linux support on has historically often times been pretty sub par but it's my understanding that most things are supported on that model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.