High Temps - P5000M - 8770w

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by stoptriproll, Sep 17, 2021.

1. stoptriproll

stoptriproll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I’ve been using a P5000M for a few months and my laptop still is running way too hot. It’s clean from dust and is on the correct surface. I’ve seen heat pipe mods and I’m considering it but my temps seem VERY high for only a fire strike test. I put on new 1.5mm pads and new thermal paste, after the fs bench I got 85c. I really didn’t expect it. I tried playing some basic games and after an 30 minutes in minecraft I hit 80-82c. This can’t be normal.

What should I do? Anyone else think these temps are unusually high?

Thanks
    Nick

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    A few months? Why didn't you return it immediately?

3. stoptriproll

Reputations:
    The temperatures weren’t good but I didn’t see a reason for return, I was told that it’s running a little hot and I need to modify the heat sink.

I think I’m going to try a new thermal paste, maybe I didn’t put enough

4. stoptriproll

Reputations:
    I’ve been thinking, perhaps I need to change the voltage. When I switched the gpu I never changed the voltage. Should I change it? And what should I change it too?

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes I would recommend setting a voltage curve via Afterburner.

That being said you will continue to see high temperatures as there is only so much heat the mass the can contain before the heatsink hits the limit, modification and an additional fan will be needed to reduce the temperatures longer term.

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Normal - browser open / tons of tabs
    upload_2021-9-17_21-42-46.png

Closed browser / wait 1 minute:
    upload_2021-9-17_21-42-58.png

I've played with plenty of different pastes / fan settings / etc. I've even had paste failures that shot up temps over 100C.

Sometimes the temps are software related / drivers / games / etc.

Restarting Chrome just now to capture temps suspended the offenders that keep the temps high normally as I didn't cycle through the tabs to reload all of them and temps have stayed down closer to the baseline w/ Chrome closed.
    upload_2021-9-17_21-46-26.png

To keep your temps down you have 203 things to look at.... fans / paste / power

If you unplug the laptop everything will downshift into a 50/50 eco mode to conserve battery. These laptops can handle more than we think they can or prefer them to be at, Even when the failed paste was an issue and temps at idle were hitting 100+ it didn't do any harm to the components as I was monitoring the stats to compare other pasties and it took 4 days for the paste to fail which I found interesting because if it's going to fail it might be 24-48 hours to show signs. Going 4 days though was a bit extreme in my book for something to just bottom out and stop working.

For functionality your temps are fine. If you want them lower it's going to take some tinkering and probably an active cooling pad under the laptop to pull away the heat / force air into / onto the chassis in addition to pads / paste.

7. stoptriproll

Reputations:
    I was reading about putting an additional fan in the disk caddy. How possible would that be?

8. stoptriproll

Reputations:
    My cpu doesn’t overheat from what I’ve seen though, just my gpu, what does that mean?

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, GPU shouldn't be getting as hot. My GPU tends to idle in the 50's and under game load sits in the 60's.

I suspect you have some contact issues with the heat sink / paste on the GPU. An alternative to paste though is a graphite pad which I use on my server CPU / air tower that keeps it cool under load, Since the dies in laptops are smaller than desktop you could probably take 1 and cut it in half to double up the height and fill any gaps. If it's a physical deformity of the HS though causing an air gap / high temps it might be worth considering replacing the HS. It could also just be the fan on the HS needing replacement.

10. stoptriproll

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply, i think i'm going to try wiping the thermal paste off and then reapplying and rescrewing the heatsink down. Maybe i didnt put enough and didn't tighten enough. It would explain why my CPU is not overheating but me GPU is.