High Temps - Already repasted 3x - AW 15R3

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by lokoroxbr, Sep 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM.

1. lokoroxbr

lokoroxbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

So today i've just downloaded the Cod Black Ops 4 BETA, to test it out. Before i did the BIOS update as we talked about in topic, so i flashed the 1.3.0 version (last one).

Also updated the nvidia drivers + activated the CPU performance mode in BIOS.

I've noticed computer is faster.

But when i joined game, i got this extreme high temps. Just to remember, i did a repaste a while ago, less than 6 months, and still getting these temps.

I have the Alienware 15R3 with i7 6820HK + GTX 1070 and 16gb ram + SSD 960 EVO 1tb.

I already repasted around 2 or 3 times with thermal grizzly. Since i travel a lot and are always carrying my laptop, i didnt use the liquid metal. The last repaste was in less then 6 months.

Anyone know what else can i do? Maybe inser a water cooling system? I really dont know anymore.
    I live in Brazil, so i dont know if all the good components are easy to find here :)

Thanks guys. Here is a little screenshot of high temps:

Attached Files:

2. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    CPU performance mode always makes your CPU run hot? I don't use it, if I want to overclock I just use Intel xtu, where I can control voltages etc too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. lokoroxbr

Reputations:
    well i'll try to disable it. But even if im not ingame, only watching videos, im getting 60c temps. I've only did repaste, never replaced other stuff (since im newbie at this things, i prefered not to mess with it)

4. samaelestevez

samaelestevez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You have a 14C spread between the coldest and hottest cores. Your heatsink is unbalanced, meaning it has uneven pressure onto the CPU die. Try twisting the heatsink a little so the GPU screws are helping with the pressure on the CPU "hinges side". There is plenty of information about this on the forums. Look it up.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. lokoroxbr

Reputations:
    ill look into that. What about lowering the temps? What should i do, because just the repaste isnt working i guess....or the paste im using isng good enoought. Maybe IDC7 paste ?

hmscott likes this.
  6. samaelestevez

samaelestevez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Balancing the heatsink will effectively lower your temperatures A LOT! right now you have almost a gap on one side, once balanced you'll see sognificantly lower temps across the board.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

Vasudev, lokoroxbr and hmscott like this.
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    pretty much, generally ICD is much better than thermal grizzly due to the heatsink being meh on the newer AW's.

lokoroxbr likes this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    60c on idle in a hot country like Brasil isnt that strange. Mine are 45c in the cold netherlands

But your temps show a large core temp difference. But you also have to balance the heatsink to make the core temps more even.

Vasudev and lokoroxbr like this.
  9. lokoroxbr

Reputations:
    ill open today and see that. Since im very newbie, how can i find the gap and how can i fix the balance? Just tight right the screws??

thanks will try to find this on Brazil :/

thanks @rinneh . Can you give me some tips or a step-guide on how to balance my heatsink do fix core temps? I mean, it is only to tight the screws? I really dont know how to look to the parts and see if the heatsink is balanced or not :/

That would be really great @rinneh . And big thanks for your time and all of you guys

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tk3 is also pretty good.