High resolution screens and Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Klappstuhl, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's nice. But, to be honest, I don't see the big issue. After a few tweaks, I am using Cinnamon 2.1 perfectly fine. Maybe these efforts are trying to automate those tweaks so that it is not necessary anymore to tweak font sizes etc?

2. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some of the High-DPI support that's landing includes per-monitor scaling settings: solving the problems you'd see with frequently attaching a High-DPI laptop to a regular DPI screen. Ubuntu 14.04 (about to be released in April) is coming along nicely: I keep the scale set to 1.0 for my Dell U2711, and the scale set to 1.38 for my laptop, though I still increase the text-scaling-factor for GNOME/GTK applications further (I don't like my window frames to take that much space, yet I want my fonts bigger).

adlerhn likes this.
  3. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Using Gnome 3.12 (Arch package) now. Everything seems to be good.

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The press-release of the new Ubuntu 14.04 states:
    "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is optimised for desktops and laptops with multi-touch trackpads and touchscreens, as well as support for high pixel density (DPI) screens. This means users can make the most out of the newest hardware on the market."

Don't shoot the messenger! ;)

5. oled

oled Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol, this statement means exactly nothing. Sounds like apple has released the new ubuntu.

Haha! :)

6. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure this is not the first they have said something like this.

7. adlerhn

Reputations:
    That's a great functionality. Do you know if that is only coming to GNOME, or are other desktop environments such as Unity, KDE or Cinnamon getting this feature as well?

8. chx1975

chx1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have used an IBM T221 with KDE in the past, yes, it's doable but you need to find all the pesky places DPI can be set and also change icon sizes. It's supported but it takes time to get set up.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. adlerhn

Reputations:
    As interesting as your note is (really nice beast for having been released in 2001, which even came along its own graphics card), desktop environments are evolving pretty fast, so I'd suggest to keep the thread to more recent versions, so as to not confuse people.

With a recent KDE (Ubuntu Trusty) I only needed a couple of tweaks to make it workable. Full perfection may still cost a lot of effort, but good enough is very easy to achieve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.