High Pitched Noise from new Pavilions

Discussion in 'HP' started by jcollector1, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samo

samo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have some questions:

I noticed that high-pitch sound after several days using my dv6265us from CC. After I had found a solution on the forum, I installed RM Clock utility and the sound disappeared. I have a question,
    It`s okay if this RM utility runs every time I use my laptop? It`s not bad for my processor?

Thank you.

2. theshowman

theshowman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've gone through two (2) COMPAQ Presario v3000 series (pretty much the same as Pavilion dv2000z ) with AMD X2 ML-50 processors and both (new units) had the high pitched noise when the CPU load creeped over 25%. (This is the opposite behaviour than others were experiencing with the Intel C2D processors)

On the second unit, the sound is worse and more prominent than the first unit.

I'm going to see whether I can return this second unit to (bought directly from HPshopping).

3. ticonderoga

ticonderoga Newbie

Reputations:
    ive been trying to fix this on my dv6245 (vista, c2d) , which is a week old. my whine was present when i had multiple applications open, or the cpu was under nominal loads. it was quiet while idling if no programs were open, both on battery and ac, though it was worse on battery. im no expert and at first wondered if it had to do with RAM usage (i have1gig installed). i have the multimeter gadget running in my sidebar and the only correlation i saw was that the whine was always present if ram usage was above %55. the only exception to this was if it was running on battery and a usb receiver for my wireless mouse was plugged in.

disabling the usb port from powering down didnt work for me, but enabling "run HLT command.." with RM clock stopped the whine, but i wasnt entirely comfortable with this. the other thing that worked was disabling "popup mode" in RM clock, but only while on AC. for anyone first dealing with this, i found these threads helpful:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3516
    http://forum.rightmark.org/topic.cgi?id=6:852
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=1652387&postcount=12
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=90335
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=103747

what ultimately ended up working was updating my bios. last night i was packing up everything that came with the notebook and steeling myself up to deal with the friendly folks at compusa when i saw the posts on here about bios. i was running f.14, and after downloading and installing f.15, then disabling the "cpu c4" function, the whining stopped entirely, both on battery and ac, no matter how many programs i have running (so far).

battery life seems to have taken a hit, about 5-10% as stated by kv_ven2001, but i can live with that. the other thing is my fans are going off more, my core temp never gets above 45 c. with bios f.14, normal usage temps were 45-58c range, now its more like 32-44.

anyway, definitely a pain but also a learning experience.

4. whuzizname

whuzizname Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Has anybody heard of other brands (Asus, Dell, etc.) experiencing this noise? :confused:

If not, then it's an HP issue and they need to "THINK" of a way to fix it ASAP.

5. nova

nova Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the DV6244, noticed the sound too. Went back to the retailer and I upgraded to the DV6265 last week...high pitch was also present, but noticed that was louder with the AC on. I chatted online with HP support, and they claim this is the first time they've heard about this problem. LOL... HP should just acknowledge this problem....but too much news could knock out their recent market share gains. I very much liked the 6265 and was willing to live with the sound until I plugged the laptop into my monitor and speakers. The eeeeee sound came right through the speakers, even when streaming music. Didn't have that problem with earphones though. Bottom line...returned the unit to the retailer. I'll buy another brand or wait til HP acknowledges and fixes this problem, and the new units make it to the store.

6. metr0man

metr0man Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    this sucks to hear, its putting me off from getting an hp 6000t

7. whuzizname

whuzizname Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like I won't buying an HP after all. Funny, after months of research I had pretty much settled on getting a DV9000 too. Pity.

8. Henchman

Henchman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have zero noise issues with the NC8430.
    In fact, it's very quiet.

9. squirralsforsale

squirralsforsale Newbie

Reputations:
    ive got a v3000. didnt want to do the rmclock and the usb method didn't work. set the power settings to max battery and everything is a lot better. the whine is intermittent, but its a lot quieter and really not too much of an annoyance anymore. taking it to class was a pain, but it really isnt that bad now.

10. infinus

infinus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My DV9000t is very quiet. What I've noticed on mine is that if I shut the wireless off I get a very light high pitched whine at idle that I pretty much only hear if I'm looking for it. If the wireless is turned on then I hear nothing no matter how much I strain to listen for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.