High End, Solid Build, TPM Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by shempmalone, Oct 16, 2019.

1. shempmalone

shempmalone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$3K+​

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    I need at least a 15.6" screen. A 17" screen with exceptionally thin bezels would be OK too.​

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

United States​

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

I can't buy Lenovo. I've had more good than bad experiences with Sager/Clevo and Gigabyte. Driver issues and such have happened more than I would have liked with Alienware/Dell and Asus, and have not been crazy about MSI's build quality in the past, but I wouldn't rule any of those out if they've got better.​
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No​

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Office, graphics intensive work, occasional gaming (but want great graphics performance and cooling).
    I will be crunching gigantic spreadsheets, editing video occasionally, compiling occasionally.
    • I want to get a 9th Gen i-9 with 8 cores, large cache, and reasonable clock (don't want to OC).
    • Will need at least 32GB Ram
    • Must be able to run Bitlocker on an encrypted drive with full TPM due to corp security requirements

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Carrying it to and from work in a backpack daily, walking around the office with it, flying frequently. Under 6lbs would be ideal.​

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes. I play everything, particularly strategy and open-world adventure / rpg; occasional FPS.

At a minimum, I want to get an RTX2070 Max Q (yes, I know...). A 2080 would be better.​

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not a priority. 3+ hours of non-gaming use. Will seldom if ever play games unplugged.​

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is fine​

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Must be Windows 10 Pro​

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1080p is OK, but higher is better. I care more about brightness, dynamic range, color accuracy, and color gamut than I do about resolution or refresh rate.

Ideally, I'd like an OLED screen, but any panel tech will do so long as quality is high and viewing angles are not terribly restrictive.​

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Slight preference for matte, but overall screen quality is more important than finish.​

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No, so long as it doesn't look overly "gamery"​

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

1TB+ SSD must support encrypted drive with Bitlocker and a TPM. Prefer a single large drive to multiple. Strong preference for Samsung or Intel SSD.​

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP​

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

2 Years​

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

2 days max, but I have a backup already so it doesn't matter a lot. I would prefer to avoid the hassle though.​

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

On-site service would be a big plus, and worth a premium, but is not a must-have.
    Other Stuff
    • Must have a TPM.
    • Must support Windows Hello (at least with a fingerprint reader, compliant camera preferable)
    • Need a nice keyboard. One that has decent feel and won't fail fast
      (have had to replace the keyboards on my last two Sagers and a Gigabyte; I guess I'm hard on them.)
    • Thunderbolt 3
    • Bluetooth 5.0 (AptX support would be nice)
    • Intel WiFi card
    • Webcam at top of screen (I hate nose hair cams)
    • Dongle-less ethernet port
    • Good cooling, so the fans aren't always screaming and it doesn't thermal throttle.
    • Want to avoid crapware in general, and manufacturer "value added" drivers in particular (e.g. Alienware, Asus)
    • An HDMI 2.1 port would be nice

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lenovo ThinkPad P53?

3. shempmalone

shempmalone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oops, I should have said I can't buy Lenovo (or Huwei or any Chinese brand). Thanks for the reply though.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe an HP Omen 15 with 9880H and RTX 2080 MQ? Alternatively a Dell Precision 7740 with 9980HK and Quadro RTX 4000 makes a great gaming machine and is pretty portable (for a 17 inch business grade laptop). Personally I would stay away from super-thin models. They are just too hot and loud even with a repaste and undervolting.

shempmalone likes this.
  5. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another option is the Clevo pb51. Somewhat lightweight at ~5.5lbs and one of the best cooling in in class due to thicker chassis than other thin 15". Design and build quality isnt as premium but should be in high standard. It has 4k oled option too.

shempmalone likes this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, Dell 7740 would be an excellent option; HP Z-book is the other "big 3" workstation class system.