high-end MSI notebooks can't even play League of legends

Discussion in 'MSI' started by lhkplayer, Mar 13, 2016.

1. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a GS60 2qe with a GTX970m which is extraordinarily good for gaming. League of legends, as everybody knows, it doesn't require a very good PC to run it properly and people love this game. But for my GS60, I have to turn on V-sycn to run it properly smooth, otherwise with it off, the fps will go way up to 300fps, but the graphic just consumes the GPU and CPU so hard, the fan will keep spinning at full speed and I tried to limit the fps to 60 it will start lagging and the graphic was very unstable. At first it will run perfectly fine, but later on due to the GPU or CPU weren't running properly, the fps will keep dropping, then it will be overheating, then eventually it will look like 30 fps.

Here is the simplest example of how bad the game experience will be when having V-sycn on for people who have never played LoL or other competitive games. It is 10ping against 100ping bad, yeah, it is that bad. V-sync slows you down, it is absolutely not designed for games require so much quick reactivity going on.

Finally, I guess this is why MSI's logo is no where to be seen in any LoL tournaments.

2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apparently your cooling is not up to par, maybe need repasting. I would probably downclock cpu and gpu a little (maybe shut down cpu turbo for example) and that should solve the problem for now. Of course much better long term solution would be the cooling fix, beside repasting when was the last time you cleaned fan and radiator? Also not many laptops are designed to run full click for very long and some tinkering may be required, like stronger fans, cooling pad, liquid metal paste just to name few.

3. westcoastgeek

westcoastgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LoL runs perfectly on both my msi systems. Ge60 and gs60 2qe with 4k screen.

4. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have tested it so many times, it isn't the cooling problem. As soon as I turn V-sycn off, the fan just go like crazy. I will try to disable the turbo boost. Thanks!

5. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    however, while i was trying to fix my cpu, I found that my cpu always running at full speed 3.29ghz all the time. I have never overclocked it, I put it on power saver mode, the speed still won't change.

6. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That doesn't sound right. I had CPU lock up at full speed few times a while ago, but reboot would fix it. I would try Intel's XTU and play with that.
    All Vsync does is throttling your computer to render no more than 60FPS and without it, as you noticed already, pc will render as many frames as possible, running at max speed, so of course it will ramp up fan to keep it from frying.
    Per your own words "the fps will keep dropping, then it will be overheating", so it seems to be overheating, the question is why? Is it because it runs at 3.2GHz at all time, or is it because of cooling, maybe both. In theory, properly set up computer should run at full speed, under 100% load without overheating, at least that's how I test my overclocks, is GS60 capable of doing that without modifications? I don't know.

7. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I understand turning V-sycn on would help, but the point V-sync is an obstacle for competitive games player. The reason why I know the problem wasn't overheating is because when I am playing CSGO, the FPS goes like crazy too, but the laptop was able to let me play without any trouble, also, as soon as I turn off v-sync on League of legends it just feel like I am playing crysis 3 instead of League of legends. I mean, LoL isn't even a modern game as far as I concerned, I shouldn't be having trouble playing it with a 970M.

but huge thanks for you bro, I am playing around with the intel XTU, hope it helps. But I wonder why playing video games would eat my CPU power so much!

8. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've seen this happen in four situations:
    1. Intel Speedstep is disabled in the BIOS (Software could also do this but you'd probably have to manually configure it).
    2. Windows update running/maintenance services at idle.
    3. Faulty touchpad driver which meant that any trackpad movement caused a spike in max CPU frequency.
    4. Faulty motherboard.

Check the BIOS to see if speedstep is enabled.

If the CPU is constantly locked at the top frequency and you then stress the GPU - it's honestly not that surprising that the fan goes berserk and the system eventually throttles.

Can you post the temperature that the system reaches while playing LOL? With the CPU locked to the highest frequency, this would be noticeably higher than normal - and even more with the GPU heavily in use.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I sort of fixed the cpu full speed problem by downloading the MSI dragon centre. Once it is installed the speed started up and down again, and I am able to disable turbo boost by the 99% method in balance mode( not high performance).

10. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd be interested to see the result when you try to play LOL now - if you would be so kind as to post up some results, I'm sure I won't be alone in my gratitude to you.