High end laptop: thin, light, powerful + battery life

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by GodKIngAmit, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodKIngAmit

GodKIngAmit Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    No real limit, anything beyond 5000 is probably too much..

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Programming, serious multi-tasking, scientific computing, low-end games (CS 1.6 for example), HDTV VH264 video watching

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I'll be taking it everywhere with me, needs to be light, less than 4 pounds

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    As mentioned above, CS 1.6, nothing else.

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?.
    Nope

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 6 hours

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Nope

9) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in?
    Canada, I can buy from the states as well if neeeded

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Doesn't really matter
    11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    Standard
    b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
    or
    c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen

e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    or
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not in particular

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    In the next month or so probalby, but there's no rush. My 9 pount dell behemonth is still holding up fine. I'd like it to last a long time, > 3 years

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 160GB?
    At least 100
    16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive? I would give up an optical drive to meet my other requirements.

Other: Needs to be fairly linux compatible, as I dual boot with debian. Downloading drivers/editing config files is fine, but no recompiling the kernel.
    I'm looking for a Core 2 Duo, 2 ghz+, 2gb of RAM, needs to have a PC type 2 slot.

Currently looking at: Sony SZ, Lenovo X60, Panasonic toughbook Y5 (14'' screen on a < 4 lb notebook is pretty sweet), and its out in Canada already.

The sony is nice, but the reliability/durability is not as great, plus the battery life isn't as impressive. Toughbook doesn't have enough processing power/RAM expansion space, X60 has a small screen.
    So I can't really find anything that I want, would appreciate any suggestions.

2. shaheenarshan

shaheenarshan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    why dont you try the dell M1210 or the dell lattitude series i guess they are durable and av along battery life too......

3. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The ASUS W3j with the optional Battery Bay and Travelers drawer will do pretty well, the batter gives 60% more batter, which boosts the original base 3~ hours to around 5 hours or so. The W3j may be heavy by base weight(5.5 I believe), but with the travelers drawer, it bumps it down to slight over 5lbs.

And CS doesn't need the CD to play, so it shouldn't be a problem.

4. GodKIngAmit

GodKIngAmit Newbie

Reputations:
    Aboutt the Dell: Well the battery life and performance look good, but its 4.5 lbs(without high capacity battery) with only a 12" screen. If I'm going to go above 4 lbs it should have at least a 13" screen.

About the Asus: Again, its more than 5 lbs, and its battery life is rather lacking.

Also one more requirement: I'd like there to be an available dock that includes video connection (to use it on my desk)

5. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So like how low end is CS 1.6, could it run on integrated graphics? It would open up a whole new list of opportunitys if it could, ranging from the Macbook to the sony tx. Also you could look into the Asus w7j, although it does not have great battery life.

6. FormFactor

FormFactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Toshiba just released new versions of its Dynabook series, check out the SSM36 .

Since you have the budget, I would suggest a very thorough search of not only what is currently available, but what will be available in the next couple months. New, improved, and refined thin-and-light and ultraportable laptops are coming out of the woodwork from manufacturers. They keep getting better and better.

7. Mr.Pigeon

Mr.Pigeon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ASUS W3J is definitely a safe bet. You can upgrade to T7600/2GB if you wish to do so. With the secondary battery, it weighs in at 5.5 lbs .. Very sturdy notebook. See MilestonePC.com for prices and customizations.

EDIT: You probably will not find a high end laptop with 6 hrs of battery life .. The CPU and dedicated GPU suck up ALOT of power. I would suggest getting a second main battery.

Cheers.

8. GodKIngAmit

GodKIngAmit Newbie

Reputations:
    CS 1.6 is really low end (it runs on a 500mhz machine ...)
    and well probably run perfectly fine on an integrated graphics board.

I'm going to take a look at that toshiba. I'd really like to keep it under 4 lbs, I have to ride transit for up to an hour standing up and the weight makes a big difference.
    Thanks a lot guys.

edit: are the introduction of hybrid hard drives going to affect battery life?
    I probably could wait until early 2007 for the new hard drives + the new intel mobile platform.

9. FormFactor

FormFactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your requirements for very light, yet powerful, and with long battery = the holy grail of laptops. I think it's going to be difficult to find any single laptop that really excels at all three -- if there was one, it would be a top seller.

Perhaps the Lenovo X60s fits the bill, but frankly I think the design is a bit tired. Give a look to Fujitsu's notebooks, they are usually very good, including the Q2010 and the new S7110. I'd take portability over performance, but that's my personal preference.

10. GodKIngAmit

GodKIngAmit Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.