High end gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rushmeplsnow, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Rushmeplsnow

Rushmeplsnow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So as the title ,im looking to buy a laptop with a rtx 2080 gpu and i7/i9 cpu.My last laptop was an Omen x with the i7 7820 and gtx 1080.
    Im looking for something with no cooling/throttle problems.My models that ive researched so far are the Msi gt75 , the aw 51m the new Omen 17.
    Im looking for a good deal (laptop can be used )i don t want to invest 4k $ on a laptop, smth around 2500-2700 is ok ish so im opened to other models.(i preffer mechanicaly keyboards as of my last Omen x)
    Have to mention i live in Europe ,for eg i ve found the Omen on ebay us @ 2k usd but taxes and vats will rip me off.
    p.s i ve read here the 51 m has throttling and even "burning" issues.

2. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm an Alienware Area 51m owner (RTX 2080 and i7 9700k), and I can talk to you what the experience with this laptop is.

The burn in issues are something long gone since now RTX 2080s' are manufactured with a different component that doesn't burn out. However, Dell introduced newer BIOS revisions to keep the laptops with defective RTX2080s' from burning out. There are ways around this limitation, but I would recommend not buying the G-Sync display since you will want to run BIOS 1.5.0 (the last one without limitations). G-Sync requires the BIOSes that are cumbersome, and honestly in this laptop there isn't much of a difference. Tobii is just a gimmick anyways.

Dell runs several discounts on their website, 10% off is no problem. Depending on the dates, I've seen up to 17% off. You can contact a seller and if you know how to play it, you will get great discounts.

Sometimes it is cheaper to select a lower option configuration and upgrade components. Play with the website and see what it is cheaper. Don't waste money in storage and in memory since it is cheaper to upgrade later (don't waste money on doing RAID on nvme since it is faster and cheaper to just throw a samsung 970 EVO in the device).

Dell customer service can be a mixbag, but they will always be there for you, unlike other brands. Dell appears to upheld their warranty, and component replacements or system replacements appear to be no-brainers to Dell.

The Area 51m is an incredible device the size of a 15in gaming laptop from years back. Runs quiet most of the time and fan noise is not obnoxious. Keyboard is very nice, trackpad is plastic instead of glass, battery can last up to 3 hours on office use (if you set up things for that), and it just looks incredibly amazing. The chassis feels like a rock as well.

I can't say this thing is perfect, but I can't find other laptop that has such a great balance in everything.

GooPuddles likes this.
  3. Rushmeplsnow

Rushmeplsnow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thx for the intel but after i read so many pages and forums i think ill stay away from the aw 51 m even tho it seemsnto be the best laptop gaming al along with the msi gt76.
    i think i ll focus on the gt75 since it has more features than 76 and less expensive.

Biker Gremling likes this.
  4. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Totally understand. Honestly both the A51m and the GT76 have their issues. The the GT75, despite being an older chasis, is still a fantastic platform.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

5. OneOuts

OneOuts Newbie

Reputations:

And in-built mechanical keyboard goes a long way!

6. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The mechanical keyboard of the GT75 is magnificent - I would consider it the best typing experience I ever had and I am still looking for an external keyboard that has the same combination of tactile feedback and key travel.