HIDevolution P775TM-R 330w PSU with 9900k + RTX2080?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Celeste Wolfe, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Celeste Wolfe

Celeste Wolfe Newbie

Reputations:
    After a lot of deliberation I finally took the plunge and purchased this system from HIDevolution today. I did have a question about 1x vs 2x 330w PSUs that come with the system. I would have picked up the system regardless, but would like to know what kind of flexibility there is.

Is it possible through undervolting / power limits to keep the system in a state where it won't go beyond the 330w limit of a single PSU? The general Idea I'm having is to have the 2x PSU setup at my desk, while still being able to grab a single PSU when traveling with the system.

2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. You will be able to get by with one PSU for low overhead tasks such as word processing and other office types of activities. As your load increases, you may see your battery draining to make up the difference between what you need to draw and what you have available.

3. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, I bought the P775TM-G with the same specs from Obsidian PC (love it by the way) but mine comes only with 1x330W PSU.

What is the difference with your model? Why do you have 2xPSU?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The second PSU is intended for systems having both the 2080 and 9900K to ensure enough headroom for overclocking.

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    at stock i wouldnt expect any issues even under load. only once you want to go crazy with overclocking will 2 PSUs become more pertinent.

6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will be fine, the Clevo 2080 has a 150W TDP, and the 9900K should stay under 150W unless you are running AVX applications.

ExMM and jaybee83 like this.
  7. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On my Clevo, I do have both the I9 9900k and the 2080RTX, they do run hot (about 80/82 degree with Metro Exodus on Ultra and RTX on), but never had problems with one PSU so far.

Actually there isn't any plug available for a second PSU anyway.

Why having 2 heavy PSU then?

8. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah, that make sense!

I am curious to know how far I can go with overclocking then!

9. Celeste Wolfe

Celeste Wolfe Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome!

Thank you for the responses everyone. I was hoping the 2nd PSU was to grant more headroom for overclocking. I'm actually more going for the opposite with undervolting and possibly underclocking the CPU/GPU in an attempt to keep the fans to a reasonable noise level. I was hoping to keep a PSU at multiple location so was happy to buy two of them regardless of whether they were required.

From what I hear in this thread and other threads, stock powerdraw of the 9900k + RTX2800 nearly surpass the power that's provided from a single 330W PSU, which leaves no headroom for increasing the voltage on either.

There is an adapter that plugs into your clevo board that allows for multiple PSU inputs: https://www.originpc.com/gearshop/categories/Power Accessories/products/2936

Obviously this would add a lot of bulk to traveling with the system, so my dream is to create two power/performance profiles, one for when I'm using two adapters with a cooling pad at my desk where noise is not an issue, and another for when I'm at LAN parties where I only would have one adapter and would prefer to keep the noise to a reasonable level.

ExMM likes this.
  10. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, didn't know that, excellent! Thanks!