HIDEvolution - Clevo lost my CPU - how else to proceed?

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by jcadduono, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Re-check my post. :)

If your 1080 shows 1BE0 you should be good to go. It may be the display driver that is installed is bugged.

Having the CPU switched to 6700K with a BIOS supporting 7700K may also have disabled G-Sync. When you get the 7700K, uninstall the display drivers with DDU and reinstall them and it may come back.

2. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah ok thanks for the edit, looks like both of mine are 1BE0, are you running a custom VBIOS or is that just a newer one? Mind passing me a copy?

Yeah could be, I'll try downgrading to Clevo's 382 release instead of nVidia's 388.00

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That was a beta @Prema vBIOS mod. So, I cannot share it. Nobody has that as of yet because it is unreleased and still a work in process.

4. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This thing is cursed, I tell ya!!!!!

My Q key just stopped working, and now all my Qs must come from my K830 :|

Oh well, not like I ever strafed left in the first place!

Ok and my touchpad keeps falling asleep and taking multiple attempts to move the cursor.... or maybe that's just bad gesture detection in the synaptics driver *shrug*

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    One of the ribbon cables under the keyboard is probably not be securely seated. Not likely the keyboard is bad. You have to hold the wide ribbon cables securely seated and work both sides of the retainer until fully locked or this can happen. and it is fairly common.

Touchpad quirk could be a driver issue, but if you are using an external mouse the option to automatically disable the touchpad should be selected.

6. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No luck. Fully disconnected the keyboard, cleaned the contacts, put them back in, closed the connectors (why did they use different latch types, that is so weird, I like the lift up kind, screw the double tab push in kind) and the result is still the same. :(
    Tested every single key and they all work except for Q. It's not like each individual key has their own connector lane. The lanes must all have proper contact. I'm gonna assume there's something gone wrong behind that key alone. :/

Seems I'm not the only one, lol
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...876-owners-lounge-phoenix-3-0.800081/page-175

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I've had that happen once when I swapped the keyboard, some keys wouldn't work. I simply reconnected the keyboard ribbon cable and it worked.

Here's the trick, when you press one of the latches to lock the ribbon cable, it tends to move the other side of the ribbon out so you need to hold and press both latches together until it's secured and locked. Try again

Vasudev, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  8. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You quoted me saying that I did just what you said o_O

9. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like i won't even be seeing it till next year at this point. :(

Clevo repair center did replace the keyboard, so it was faulty.

Apparently the lack of G-Sync was due to the CPU being a 6th gen series 6700K rather than my 7th gen series CPU.... what an awful whitelist condition!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  10. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So good news, I got my laptop today after paying for 2 day shipping (really didn't want to wait till January)

Testing it out in a moment.

When I took it out of the packaging a screw fell out and then I looked at the bottom of the laptop and there was no screws in it, haha!
    Didn't bother me since I had bought a pack of 50 or so expecting to lose some over time to repeated opening / wear / dropping and losing.

Results:
    (copypasta of email I sent to hidevolution)

(I meant DDR4-3000, oops)

overall I'm a little disappointed I went through so much effort. I actually lost my border tax receipt at some point so I'm really afraid to bring it out of the country now, hope it never needs to be serviced again :X (I almost had to pay tax again on it this night when bringing it across, very scary when it's another $900!)
    The experience makes me wary of purchasing any Clevo product in the future from ANY retailer simply because of my experience with the Clevo Repair Center, and not HIDevolution.

side note: I disabled "legacy bios logo" and was greeted with a lovely Prema BIOS boot screen complete with Prema's logo instead of the EVOC logo, cool! Happy surprise either way, glad to be rid of the "Style Note" screen haha.
    That is an INSANE amount of configurable options in the BIOS now, WOW!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Papusan and hmscott like this.