HIDEvolution - Clevo lost my CPU - how else to proceed?

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by jcadduono, Oct 25, 2017.

1. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I had my P870KM1-G in RMA for 2 months or so getting the motherboard replaced due to a CPU pin that was damaged. I shipped it to HIDEvolution with my components in to ensure that it was tested stable and my components weren't causing any issues. (removed the battery though to reduce cross-border inspection hassles)

So anyways, HIDEvolution did not record the components in the laptop before they shipped it off to Clevo to get the motherboard replaced/repaired/whatever they did.

I received my laptop back a week ago in working condition thankfully, but noticed that my CPU had turned from an i7-7700K to an i7-6700K!
    The i7-6700K had a sticker on it showing it was from Clevo's part stock: S-BJAEKAB
    Here's a picture of the CPU after removing it and cleaning off the TIM:
    https://adduono.com/p870km1/for-hidevolution/6700k/IMG_20171023_205126.jpg
    According to HIDEvolution, this part number shows it is Clevo stock from 2015. My initial thoughts were that the KAB on the end meant Kaby Lake and it was just a sticker on the wrong CPU but apparently this is not the case. (just a coincidence)

Oh just for fun this is what it looked like when I took the heatsink off: https://adduono.com/p870km1/for-hidevolution/6700k/IMG_20171020_150255.jpg
    Good thing it's such a hard paste and didn't leak under the CPU PCB, otherwise I'd have more CPU pin issues than I first sent it out for lol!
    *** The thermal pads are all attached to the GPU heatsink block since they stick much better to copper than thermoset plastics (ICs)

While I don't really want to stir up a bunch of drama here, I do think the best way to get something resolved is to make the situation be known to the public. The fault here is on both HIDEvolution (for not recording parts before shipping) and Clevo (for misplacing the CPU and not even keeping a record of the replacement?!?!?!)
    I do think HIDEvolution is a good company and they maintain decent contact and made attempts to look into the situation, so I'm not trying to get people to boycott them. I'm just really frustrated because I haven't even had the chance to use my laptop for more then a few days since I bought it and now the P870TM1 is out!

Email conversation (newest to oldest, only messages regarding the mix up):
    It's a little confusing piecing it together, I'd post the entire thread but for some reason they are all separated and every new message gets another thread in gmail.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The solution is pretty simple. If they want to make it right they will give you a 7700K and apologize profusely for their mistake. Sadly, the Clevo repair depot doesn't do the right thing. They have wrongfully charged @Trafficante for replacement motherboards under warranty more than once. No need for drama. It's just a fact that they do not accept responsibility for their mistakes, and they don't care about Clevo Resellers any more than end users. I doubt that having proof will sway them because they don't care. I've also heard, from sources I trust, that bent CPU pins on brand new Clevo motherboards is also not uncommon on machines that haven't been sold yet. I personally know of two people that encountered the same.

And, you are right. HIDevolution is an amazing company and they are a victim of the dishonesty as much as you are.

It would never be a good enough reason for me to ever buy one of their crippled turdbooks today... no way I would entertain that at all... but, one thing I can say for Dell/Alienware is they always tried to make things right. The customer was almost always right, and given more benefit of doubt than deserved sometimes. If they couldn't make things right you generally ended up with a replacement machine (often cursed with the same issues as the product it replaced) and under really bad circumstances something was offered as compensation (better specs, extended warranty, etc.) for your grief. That's how things are supposed to work if they want repeat business.

Clevo is a lot like NVIDIA in this respect. End users are not their customers, and customer satisfaction isn't their concern. Know what else is sad? I've heard and experienced similar or worse horror stories from HP, ASUS and MSI regarding employee blunders, refusing to take ownership of their mistakes and botched up processes relating to warranty repairs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its a shame but at least you know to expect poor customer service from Clevo. In the future its probably a good idea for anyone to take pictures, gather screenshots and documents of all their components before sending anything off. Any evidence in your favour will likely be useful.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I don't think anything actually works as proof no matter how good it is. I took this a few days before shipping it out.
    I've even got receipts for the order of my 7700K at the same time as purchasing the P870KM1-G from HIDEvolution.

The Clevo parts yellow sticker should be obvious enough for proof, especially when the laptop was ordered without any CPU in it! How else could someone obtain this CPU?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Donald@HIDevolution and Arrrrbol like this.
  5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please be patient...we are working on this to get you a proper resolution. We should have it resolved in the next few days.

@Mr. Fox @Arrrrbol

6. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Exactly, be patient they find good solution for you, i belive

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

7. jcadduono

jcadduono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They offered to ship me another 7700K from hidevolution stock if I first ship them the 6700K, I guess that's ok....except for being without my laptop for another 2 weeks.
    Responded asking if they'd take a deposit so I can wait till it gets here. -_-

I also noticed my Bluetooth wasn't working now, and that someone had put tape over the Intel 8265 antenna connectors. I assumed to keep antennas in place and reduce stress on the port.
    I lifted the tape (gently) and the antenna port came off with the antenna it was connected to LOL. I guess the tape was holding the port to the PCB. To be clear, I didn't break it! That would take quite a bit of force and there'd probably be a snap.
    Thankfully bought a spare Killer 1535 and Intel 9260 should be out soon anyway, but wtf!

Right now I'm trying to salvage the MHF4 antenna by removing this port from it with tweezers but I dunno if it's happening, will probably need to order another MHF4 cable :(
    Update: Nope that antenna is toast, while I was able to clear the port out of the end, the conductor came out with it. Killer 1535 is working great with 2nd antenna in main port for now.

This has been a horrible experience in every way.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Putting Kapton tape over the WiFi antennas is a common practice. Most new machines ship that way from the factory. If I remember correctly @Prema had a new system where one of the antenna ports fell off the Intel 8260 card because it was not soldered securely during manufacturing.

Donald@HIDevolution and Prema like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I love how your company does the right thing all of the time. That is what sets HIDevolution apart and makes them great, and why HIDevolution is a company I prefer to do business. I just hope the resolution on the back end is Clevo actually being accountable, owning their mistake and footing the bill, rather than HIDevolution absorbing the loss for a valued customer.

10. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about that. Like Mr Fox says Hidevolution should swap out your cpu with a i7 7700k or at least compensate you. On ebay a used 6600k is going for about $270 and you can buy a new 7700k from Microcenter for about $299. That's the route I would probably take and ask Hidevolution to compensate me $50 or so.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.