HIDEvolution 9th Gen Razer Blade 15 RTX 2080 Fujipoly Thermal Pads and Re-paste... So far so good.

Discussion in 'Razer' started by vahdyx, May 9, 2019.

1. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never considered the Synapse to be an issue however I did consider that something in the OS may be affecting it since it seemed to happen roughly around the time I upgraded Windows to 1903. So this kind of made me think it's something there.

I went ahead and backed up my system using Acronis True Image and then reinstalled Windows 1809 from USB clearing the partition. I installed Steam and drivers and downloaded 3DMark and HWInfo and ran some test and it was still high. At this time I didn't install Synapse as it didn't occur to me.

That's when I just cleared everything and decided to return.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

2. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man, that is rough. Sorry for your experience. I am actually very interested in the other details of the thermal upgrade investigation. Did you uncover why their thermal upgrades were so poorly done?

My experience with HID was good regarding repaste. After the first round of battery bloating, I sent my RBP 2018 (GTX 2080) to them to get a new battery and to add in the LM/Fujipoly upgrades. I noticed a solid 10 deg drop in both CPU and GPU temperatures after the repaste. For safety, since getting the unit back, I've elected to undervolt everything and I no longer push the machine for max performance. On the most demanding of games, I'll hit 75C max on either chip. Sacrificing 5-10% performance gives me the confidence that the unit will hold out for another year or so.

The other reason I've chosen to reduce the power a bit slightly is that I never want to send this unit back to HID for repairs. Despite the fact that I knew they were simply going to forward the machine to Razer for the battery replacement, the HID portion of the turnaround time was complete ****. I know the unit sat in their facility for weeks on both ends of the Razer repair. The unit was in their hands for almost three months. Three months!!!

I felt like a broken record with my constant messages to their support team to get status updates. To their credit, they always responded, but it didn't improve turnaround time...

3. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @VoodooChild I just looked at the specs for the new RBP 2019 on HID's website. Check out the storage "upgrades":

upload_2019-6-7_10-30-17.png

The RBP 2019 comes with a Samsung PM981 from Razer. This is a VERY fast SSD. (The 2017 version came with a PM961, also extremely fast). HID will charge you MORE for a significantly slower 860 EVO SSD. "HIDevolution Approved" doesn't carry much weight for me.

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a similar problem with HIDEVOLUTION. I had the Zephyrus S get the liquid netal treatment with the fuji pads. Well after a few benchmarks the cpu was hitting 95 degrees. And some people were getting about 10 degrees cooler on stock machines. I tried getting an answer for HID but they were pretty persistent on how 95 degrees was totally within the cpu's operating temps I returned it. So what I learned is do thermal upgrades yourself. Razer makes very popular laptops and there are plenty of guides to show you how to open it up. Plus once you do it a few times you might findnit fun.

vahdyx likes this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would stay far away from them really. Buy a stock system if you need to, (if your country doesn't have that brand stores) but I don't see any point of their Hidevolution upgrades and thermal modes because it seems highly overrated and quite frankly a cash-grab policy.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

6. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    My Hidevolution treated Area 51m is now dead and I waiting on a replacement system from Dell directly. I'm actually happy that my Hidevolution system died because if you had seen the paste job of liquid metal on this laptop, you would've gouged your eyes out. The thermal pad application was so bad that the heatsink was not making proper contact with the die at some points. It looked as if it was out together by a technician who was in a hurry to go home. Having liquid metal running around the components is a bad idea and could be one of the reasons why my system didn't wake up after doing some simple RAM upgrades.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Terreos likes this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a real shame to hear as Hidevolution was pretty highly recommended here on the forums. I was told that they have a certain procedure that they follow to ensure they have good results. But, hell mine was bad out of the box and with your story I can say they don't do a good job doing QC. Glad to hear you're getting a replacement. Think you'll do liquid metal yourself or will you stick to normal compounds?

VoodooChild likes this.
  8. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    May be people have different experiences with Hidevolution but mine was this: great consumer service with sales, Donald is a Gem! The service and the actual quality of the product delivered is unbelievably bad, worst than a Dell stock machine. And don't get me started with their "Hidevolution Approved Upgrades ", absolute cash grab!

No more liquid metal for me, I've tried it twice and quite frankly, it wasn't anything life changing... it worked better than my long time favorite Arctic MX4 no doubt but I don't think the hassle is worth it for 2-3C difference. I would rather undervolt the CPU and GPU on my Area 51M than risk short circuit using LM. I'm a big fan of Gelid GC Extreme so I'll use those instead. Also, Fujipoly thermal pads are also highly overrated as far as I'm concerned. They break so easily and cannot be reapplied. And is crazy expensive especially for overseas buyers like me. I have some of these and they work just like Fujipoly and can be applied many times over:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYTTLI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bvCbDbKAVG05A

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Terreos likes this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Honestly ditto on everything you said. Especially the comment on Donald. Hell he wanted to know the back story of my user name. You don't get more laid back than that. Great guy to deal with. If I ever bought from HID again it would be an unmodified laptop with a warranty extension.

And anytime someone says "Don't get me started" I always want to know. Lol. You can Pm me if you care to elaborate. If not I won't press.

You're an MX-4 user too? I thought I was the only one! Everyone talks about IC Diamond or Thermal Grizzly. MX-4 has always served me well and it's affordable. I'll definitely try those pads you linked as I've never tried using after market pads. For my next project I'll give them a go.

VoodooChild likes this.
  10. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    Well since you asked, here it goes, I "upgraded" my primary m2 drive for $170 and I got a QLC based 1TB Crucial P1 which is going at below $100 for the last 2 months.
    The RAM "upgrade" to 16GB(8*2 sticks) was Kingston generic ram modules which I cannot find anywhere else on the internet. Like quite literally! I cannot find the exact 8GBs sticks anywhere else so I'm not being able to upgrade to 32GB RAM unless I discard the ones I "upgraded" from Hidevolution and get a separate kit. So, I'm stuck there as well.

The machine ran at 99C within 2 mins of Aida64 with FULL fan speed and I was told that these was acceptable and should be "ok for the system". Earlier, I was told that the machine had passed a 43 minutes stress testing session which max temps never crossing 85C for the CPU and the GPU and the "user" was operating on the wrong "settings" I was told... this was after paying for a delidded CPU and LM paste and Gelid Extreme and the Fujipoly non sense and all that jazz... wrong settings they say... as it I cannot change the fans speed from Balanced to Full Speed after paying $4000 for a damned computer!

What hit the hammer on the head for me was playing Divison 2 on this machine. The CPU was reaching 96C and GPU 85C within 5 mins of gameplay and the FPS was throttling down to 20fps every 2 minutes as soon as the GPU hits its 85C thermal limit. I knew that I was duped badly. So, I broke all communications with them and did my own service on the laptop. The temps dropped by 8-12C on average while using a simple Gelic Extreme repaste.

One last thing, I had asked them to transfer my warranty to the UAE one week ago, got a email saying "someone will get back to you" and nothing has happened ever since.
    This is the exact content of that email:

Hello,

I have informed the person who takes care of the warranty transfer to process your request.

Best,
    Juan C.

With best regards,
    Zoltan S - Tech Support (+1-562-485-6541 ext 200)

Now, my laptop is dead and when I claim my warranty with Dell, I am being told that I'll have to wait for the transfer of warranty first before any servicing can take place. I'm currently waiting for the transfer of warranty before a system swap takes place.

So, ya, they are good in taking your money, not very good in respecting your customer relationship. And "Hidevolution Lifetime Tech Support Guarantee" seems like a distant dream now...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+