HIDEvolution 9th Gen Razer Blade 15 RTX 2080 Fujipoly Thermal Pads and Re-paste... So far so good.

Discussion in 'Razer' started by vahdyx, May 9, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use the Coolermaster Masterpal Pro notebook stand without the fans installed, it's just basically an aluminum platform with a grid of holes for some free air and an USB hub in the back. It works pretty well but also looks classy. But the benefit of a cooling pad is less with this laptop, the laptop feet are high enough to pull the amount of air it needs, it also pulls a lot of air through the keyboard.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Papusan, cfe and Wishmaker like this.
  2. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any idea if the volume on the 9th gen razer blade speaker is louder than previous one? I had the 8th gen cpu unit and speakers were quiet low on volume

3. cfe

cfe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I pretty much use mine for the same thing. Basically bought it just for that, the fans really aren't much use (although upgrading them is a good option), but it was "worth" the price just for the stand itself. It's crazy how many hours I spent searching Newegg, Amazon, there are literally no simple "stands" for this form factor that check the boxes of making sense, looking good, and not being total crap quality. So I gave coolermaster my money for a laptop stand....10/10 would buy again :rolleyes:

rinneh likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same for me, it was so hard to find just a classy looking stand, luckily they had a good deal on amazon. Only 30 euros for the Pro edition.

cfe likes this.
  5. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    I ordered the Coolermaster.
    The Razer one is classy but too expensive in my area.
    If I want a hub i need to pay for the Chroma which is 120 euros.

No gracias. I spent too much on Razer products this month :)

6. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ***Update***

My temps increased as time went on. In about 20*C ambient my idle temps rose from acceptable numbers to about 60-80 C and during gaming I'm now thermal throttling and temps constantly hit 95-99 on all cores.

I don't know what happened but it's very frustrating. I called HIDEvolution and long story short it's going back and they're charging me 10% restock fee. Which I think is unwarranted since I believe it's their fault. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I will stick to Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg from now on.

Edit

Oh I forgot to add these newly increased temps we're with an UV of -0.145v and -0.100v. -0.100v was set by HIDEvolution and I increased (or decreased) it to 0.145v and nothing changed.

Something happened from first days to now. Not sure what, but I don't think they did enough stability checks.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  7. derpsauce

derpsauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What was their response when you called them? Considering a similar purchase.

8. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Some modules of razer synapse seem to cause random trouble for people like high cpu loads for no reason and throttling due to that. I had massive issues in overwatch thanks to chroma SDK (i have a razer mouse and headset) and after uninstalling that, colossal higher minimum fps (210 instead of 150) and no more lagging when a browser is open on my second monitor.

Considering that you have a repasted, repaded and undervoltet machine, it's probably a similar issue. Can't imagine why else you'd have good temps first and then suddenly a microwave.

9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My experience with Hidevolution is also absolutely horrendous. Their customer service is very good, no doubt about it and dealing with Donald was great.

Unfortunately their thermal services are absolutely dreadful and overrated like crazy. I've a delidded 9700K from Hidevolution on my Area 51m and it ran super hot right out of the box. I paid for their premium services with LM and Fujipoly and all that jazz.
    When I eventually received the system, I was told that its normal for a laptop to run at 100C within 2mins of AIDA64 stress test. The communication between their technical team and their customer team is also dreadful. I was told that my system passed all their thermal test including a "43 minutes AIDA64 run" at their store and I am doing something wrong with my "settings" and its a user error.

What was the tipping point for me was when I ran Division 2 at stock in my Area 51m at stock with FULL fan speed, the CPU reached 97C and GPU hit its threshold of 85C within 10 mins of gameplay and at that point I knew that the thermal upgrades was just a scam! Nothing more! I was told not to open the system until they check remotely and I knew the system is beyond fixing remotely. I then cut off all communications with them. I also knew about the 10% restocking fees so decided not to return the system and shipping from UAE to US is another $300!

I bought some Gelid extreme and did the thermal application myself. What I saw inside was absolutely unbelievable! I will not bother going into the details but let me just say that the screw of the back panel of the laptop was tightened so hard that ended up cracking up the panel while opening it the first time.

After my own thermal application, the CPU has never exceeded 80C and GPU is running at acceptable levels too.

It's fair to say that I'll never recommend Hidevolution to anyone else in the future. Stay away from their upgrades. I paid $170 for a generic QLC based 1TB nvme drive which runs at 1600Mbps and $120 for a out of date 16GB Kingston DDR4 ram which is the slowest DDR4 Sodimm I have ever used! And they're say its "Hidevolution approved". What a joke!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Wishmaker and vahdyx like this.
  10. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They didn't really offer any help. They just said they'll talk to the production team and kept me waiting.

They were nice about it but I never got any assistance. It was like they were delaying on purpose so that I would get past my return window then be stuck with it.

I get people can be busy but it's not that hard to get a response in 5 business days IMO. So I initiated the return.

I ended up buying the Razer Blade Pro and the thermals were so much better. I restored from an Acronis backup and the performance on that was significantly better.

I even overvolted the RBP by +150v on accident and the results temp wise were still better than the RB15 with their mods. I undervolted the RBP -150v and it's stable and the RBP never goes past 80c in 26c ambient on load. When I was testing the RB15 we had freak snow in May and it was cold and cooler.

I just think their service is hit or miss. After talking about my experience to a lot of people from various forums there's complaints and happy customers.

At the end of the day I've given up on them.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk