HIDEvolution 9th Gen Razer Blade 15 RTX 2080 Fujipoly Thermal Pads and Re-paste... So far so good.

Discussion in 'Razer' started by vahdyx, May 9, 2019.

1. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's super early, but I just received my Razer Blade 15 from HIDEvolution and so far so good. It's quick, seems to run cool during benchmarks. Max temps were in the 70s and 80s for CPU during Port Royale, Firestrike, and TimeSpy. But for the averages they were in the 60s. Most of what I did today was get it set up for work. I haven't quite had the chance to play games on it yet to see what temps I'm getting. It'll happen though.

I was thinking this was a bad buy and was gonna return it simply because the WiFi card wasn't working. I irrationally thought it was a defective piece of hardware. It was an easy fix though, I had to get drivers to fix it.

Sadly I don't know what the temps should be stock, so I can't speak to how much the cooling mods helped. I kind of wish HIDEvolution would print out CPU and GPU temps on stock benchmarks then what they are after. Just an extra touch of white glove service they could do to give a better experience.

All in all, I think I'm happy.

***Update***

My temps increased as time went on. In about 20*C ambient my idle temps rose from acceptable numbers to about 60-80 C and during gaming I'm now thermal throttling and temps constantly hit 95-99 on all cores.

I don't know what happened but it's very frustrating. I called HIDEvolution and long story short it's going back and they're charging me 10% restock fee. Which I think is unwarranted since I believe it's their fault. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I will stick to Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg from now on.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    hfm, Joikansai, rinneh and 2 others like this.
  2. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Report back temps after 15+ minutes of gaming. I imagine that cpu tell will rise quite a bit. It seems like the 15 and 17” models now have the same maximum spec options. If the cooling systems are similarly effective, I might seriously consider ditching the 17 form factor for a more manageable travel size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That’s nice temperature on gaming it’ll probably plus around 5 to 10 depends the titles, as i mentioned in Reddit try undervolting the cpu, most users here doing that I believe. And play around with synapse performance profile, limit the cpu wattage with balanced mode if it’s cpu demanding titles like Tomb Raider, Far cry, Assassin Creed, division etc for FPS light titles like overwatch, CSGo use gaming mode for more FPS and you’re good imo.

4. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    I may need to do this myself as I am not happy with the 85 degrees I see when I play Mortal Kombat 11.

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you manage to undervolte? If xtu didn’t work try throttlestop, it’s better and has more features. I see 85 degrees often on gaming btw lol it’s a Blade:D. Isn’t my preferred temperature as well but it doesn’t melt in a year gaming usage...yet;)

Wishmaker likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    85c is a pretty good temperature for a laptop....

But you can push the fans a bit to go lower.

Wishmaker likes this.
  7. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    I am still at work. I will go home in 1 hour and play a bit with undervolting and see the temperature change. If I can shave 10 centigrade I would be happy.

8. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this your first gaming laptop, by chance?

Razer has done a frankly incredible job with the temps this time round.
    You have to consider what these machines are packing for the size.

9. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    My previous 'gaming' laptop was a 15 inch Acer. Three times thicker than my Blade and sporting a super fancy 970M.
    The laptop would not exceed 75 centigrade when gaming. It also had a cooling system that would benefit from my Antec Dual Fan cooling pad.

Now that thing was abused to a point where the keys have started to fall out. It has been working overtime and back in the day when I helped another forum with Folding it was doing that for days. Battery died 3 years ago and it was always connected to the wall. Having experience from this machine, I was surprised to see the Blade jump so high.

I was playing with throttle stop last night and dropped the laptop between 3200 and 3500 MHz while at the same time decreasing voltage. I also created a custom graphics preset for MK11 as the game automatically maxed out everything to a point where I did not believe it was necessary. High detail should suffice for this game as it looks amazing even this way.

Original temps with default Razer Settings with Content Creation preset : 80-85 centigrade with spikes at 90 degrees.
    New temps with Throttle stop, vcore decrease and turbo changes : 70-75 degrees.

I noticed that my Antec Cooling pad is not helping the laptop and having a book which is perfectly snug between the fans when placed in portrait mode yields better temperatures than when I place it on my pad.

Does anyone have any experience with a good laptop stand or cooling pad which works with the Blade 15?

10. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good lord, that's impressive. Coupled with the quiet fans from balanced mode, I think I'm finally going to have to buy one of these things.

As far as stands go, this would be the obvious choice:
    https://www.razer.com/gaming-accessories/laptop-stand-for-razer-blade-stealth

Stands with built-in fans are generally a gimmick.

Personally I'd love to use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4265LD/

But I'd worry about there being enough heat dissipation.