hide.me - The Fastest VPN that I've used!

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are right - I posted that on a different thread. Sorry if I irritated you. :)

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just didn't get why you quoted me ;)

3. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    I was agreeing with you - and, I think your point about Steam is well taken. I find the desktop NORD software, with Nordlynx very fast - reaches the limit of my ISP (~340 M), so no need for Steam to be outside VPN. BTW, I run most of my household (phones, IPADS, etc) on NORD embedded in a Flashrouter (DD-WRT). That provides protection and coverage for the whole house at a 60M. I think the limitation there is the processing power of the router (and inability to use Nordlynx with the router software).

4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Yeah, the router implementations can be iffy depending on the CPU they're using. I built my own router inside of a PC using a 8700K so, HP isn't an issue for VPN processing. DD-WRT is doing basically the same thing I am with different approach. You could do a whole house w/ PI though if you add dongles for the IN/OUT interfaces to a switch for more ports or just connect your WIFI to it directly.

Using iptables for FW / packet processing is low CPU cycles / memory use though.
    upload_2021-6-22_13-58-16.png

I've had routers in the past that had gig ports but only pushed 25% of the bandwidth for some reason as if they divided it between the LAN ports instead of balancing it based on BW. These are the sort of things you don't notice until you're able to push beyond low BW ISP packages. It seemed to work fine on the 50mbps package but, when testing higher packages it's deficiency was quite evident. If you test it doing a transfer between devices internally you should be able to hit decent speeds and if not then the issue is the router causing the bottleneck.

On my "router" I can hit 1.3gbps internally between the server / laptop which is more of a limitation of the WIFI as with the 5GE dongle I have for bigger transfers will hit full speed over a wired connection @ 400MB/s (which is more of a limitation of my Raid10/SATA drives...with an SSD it would fully saturate)

5. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Agree. My router is an ASUS 5300 AC. There are faster ones out there, but not with a lot of processing horsepower. As you note, a computer implementation would be faster - my son suggested a current generation Raspberry Pi. However, the router delivers enough speed, and consistently, to most of our devices, and I use the desktop software for my laptop and desktop. I have AT&T fiber - delivers 1 GB to the ONT, but I only get 350-400 at the gateway. They would upgrade the connection between ONT and gateway, but we're moving in a few months and it's not worth the bother. Hoping to get 1G fiber in the new place. :)

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    1G takes the guesswork out of speed issues. ONT/GW should be an easy cable swap unless it's the Jack itself that is faulty but, that would normally cause more issues than restricted speed. Depending on how long you have had the GW though there might be something in it that needs to be addressed to increase the speed. Normally though they're just a passthrough device that tag your traffic with the VLAN they use for customer traffic which can be done with your own switch that has VLAN control. I don't remember but it's something like VL201 that gets configured and there's a different VL for the management traffic so they can talk to the GW.

I have Gig Fiber around me within a couple of blocks but they won't extend it because they charge $75/mo for DSL. I suppose if residents in the building would switch to Comcast for faster speeds at a cheaper rate they might reconsider extending the fiber. ATT is a joke to deal with though even though their HQ is here. I'll gladly give CC $100/mo for gig speeds vs having to deal with ATT. I deal with all of these providers for work so there's a pecking order for personal use.

PI or similar though would give more control over the packets and monitoring tools can be installed to see what's going where and how fast. I use a couple of different things to manage my connection from webmin to just give a system overview to ntopng for packets to pihole for filtering out the tracking stuff and nord to keep CC from seeing what's going on. Overall it's cut down on a lot of spam and speeds are consistently good unless nord has the hiccups on a particular node.

7. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Our fiber is ATT (it's all we could get). GW is relatively new. New cable would need to be run under the house - would do it if we were not moving. Google fiber is in our town, but not quite yet available at our new place. :( We'll probably get ATT until we can get Google. Our daughter has Google fiber, and it's excellent.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Fiber is Fiber though and needing to run new strands under the house is a bogus excuse for limited speeds. Fiber either works or doesn't. Usually the fault lies in the termination / transceiver when it comes to speeds. If things aren't lined up properly or the transceiver is going bad / loose connection in the GW then there's speed issues due to needing to retransmit the data but, it's usually a quick fix. The other thing is the GW being provisioned properly.

Google is the way to go and it's a shame they aren't expanding to new cities after the initial handful of cities they laid fiber in. If you look at broadband maps for your area you might be able to find a smaller provider that does have fiber in the area at about the same price or less. There's a smaller fiber provider near me that's only 2 blocks away but to extend it they want 10 people interested in it to cover the cost of boring and threading it to the building. Another small provider is only a mile or so from reaching the building. Of course the ATT/VZ's of the world have the capital to do it for less subscribers but, they drag their feet on doing so. Options like Spectrum / Comcast have plans for Fiber but, they're 3X the phone version for 2GE which is double the speed.